ATX Community

Bowling League Fees Deductible

BulldogTom

What's amazing is (with all the advances in technology) that the IRS doesn't pull these returns for audits when HRB clearly labeled it as something not deductible.

On the EA exams the IRS makes sure that you understand that Golf membership dues are not deductible even if you have your own business and you entertain clients on the Golf fields daily and talk about business while playing.

New client comes in with 2009 return prepared by HRB. On Sch A job related expenses is listed "Bowling League Fees....$500" Very creative. I guess the boss said he had to play in the bowling league and so they deducted it.

I thought I had seen it all, maybe now I have.

Tom

Lodi, Ca

Did 2% floor wipe out the deduction anyway. Seen Block list all kinds of misc deductions and 2% floor eliminates them all. Clients think they got to deduct them.

Did 2% floor wipe out the deduction anyway. Seen Block list all kinds of misc deductions and 2% floor eliminates them all. Clients think they got to deduct them.

Some got through. The misc deductions were about 1250 and the floor was about 1000. Union dues, tax prep, clothing, and bowling league made up the deductions. Construction worker.

I would think the prparer would have hid it a little better. It was written out on the Sch. A plain as can be. But with E-file, I bet it never sees a live person at the IRS.

Tom

Lodi, CA