ATX Community

Non-Paid Preparer Error

Crank

For certain people, mostly myself & family members, I dont want to sign the return as a paid preparer, since I am not, and there is a check box for this on the Preparer Options form in the Xpert Tab. When you click that option the program help at the bottom states if the preparer doesn't charge for doing a tax return then he/she should not sign it. It prints "Non-Paid Preparer" in the signature box.

But, when you Review or Audit it gives an item in RED saying "Invalid Non-Paid Preparer" and when you select this box you need to input another field of which the only acceptable entries are "IRS-PREPARED" or "IRS-REVIEWED" of which this is neither.

So how do I do a return as a Non-Paid Preparer?

Hi Ryan,

The Red audit item is related to selecting "Self Prepared" & "Non-Paid Preparer" on the bottom of the EF form under the "Declaration Of The Electronic Return Paid Preparer" heading (not the PO form as I originally thought). It requires an entry of "IRS-PREPARED" or "IRS-REVIEWED". neither of which is applicable.

Thanks