ATX Community

Mask SSN on client copy of returns

John A

Anyone know how (or if it's possible) to mask client SSNs on client copies of printed (or pdf) returns? I can't seem to find any way to do it...

And another one I just hit up against: Anyone know how to print/save the client copy without the watermark? I have nothing entered in the Watermark boxes (there seem to be more than one, including one in the Distribution Sets dialog box), but every time I print the "Client Copy" watermark shows up on every page.

Anyone know how (or if it's possible) to mask client SSNs on client copies of printed (or pdf) returns? I can't seem to find any way to do it...

And another one I just hit up against: Anyone know how to print/save the client copy without the watermark? I have nothing entered in the Watermark boxes (there seem to be more than one, including one in the Distribution Sets dialog box), but every time I print the "Client Copy" watermark shows up on every page.

If you have a PDF editor program, such as Adobe, Paperport or any other one, you can put a text box over the SS# to cover it.

I don't like the print sets and to print I use the preview button and print it to the printer or PDF by selecting the forms I want to print.

Thanks, Ryan. I actually spoke with someone at RedGear about this on the phone, and he was unable to find a way to do it. (He said the option had been discussed in development meetings, but wasn't acted on.) I know there's the option to mask SSNs on the Client Organizer; for future reference, let me put in my vote to have this capability (mask all SSNs) on the tax return itself.

As for the watermark - he said it was a "known issue", and was being looked into. For now, I'll go with George M's advice.

Thanks for taking the time to post here.

Related question: Does anyone know what the "Do Not Mask SSN/EIN" option does? Under Settings>Control>Switches.

Hi John,

It is accurate that we do not mask the SSN's on the printed returns as of right now; I have made a note of it to see what can be done in the future.

The watermark issue should be resolved and I believe was released on Thursday or Friday, so take a look at that and let me know what you see.

Regarding the settings option for masking SSN/EIN's, that is just to mask them on the interface that you are looking at; in case you have employees that work for you and don't want them to see that.

Thanks,

Ryan