ATX Community

DCN NUMBERS

TAXMAN

Rehash if you please. Per Va tax department this AM they advised that the DCN number on their form VA-8879 should be the same as the IRS DCN number. However ATX support said NO they don't have to be the same. I guess if Return #1 gets #1 and state return gets #2 then the next fed return would get #3 and so on. You suppose IRS will be looking for the missing DCN numbers in between? and is ATX right or is the state right? Anybody got an idea? Thanks

You suppose IRS will be looking for the missing DCN numbers in between? and is ATX right or is the state right? Anybody got an idea? Thanks

I don't know who's right but I hope they are not looking for missing numbers as I have quite a few missing if they are suppose to be going 1, 2, 3....

my number are

Return #1... Fed ends in 01, state 21

Return #2... Fed ends in 31, state 51

Return #3... Fed ends in 61, state 81....

You see how this is going... this is how ATX numbered them, I have not deleted (or added) anything.

If you create an e-file and for some reason get an error message, you correct the return and re-create the e-file you will be assigned a different number, thus resulting in skipped numbers. (it's been this way for at least two years with ATX software especially when creating the state file.

As for IRS questioning the missing numbers, well we can modifiy the DCN controller at any time within the software, allowing for other computer's to create and transmit the returns, so I do not believe it is an issue as long as you keep a current printout of the DCN assigned to each return.

After all this is out of our control.

Just my two cents worth,

Deb!

I don't know who's right but I hope they are not looking for missing numbers as I have quite a few missing if they are suppose to be going 1, 2, 3....

my number are

Return #1... Fed ends in 01, state 21

Return #2... Fed ends in 31, state 51

Return #3... Fed ends in 61, state 81....

You see how this is going... this is how ATX numbered them, I have not deleted (or added) anything.

You ignore the LAST NUMBER, WHICH IS THE SAME FOR EVERY RETURN, relates to the filing year. So your numbers are

Return #1... Fed ends in 0, state 2

Return #2... Fed ends in 3, state 5

Return #3... Fed ends in 6, state 8....

Seems like you are losing one between the fed and the state. Does not matter, they do not have to be consecutive at all, just unique.