ATX Community

PA State Efile

Crank

I have always sent the Pa state at the same time as the Federal (piggyback). Im curious what others do. Do you efile the Federal and State at the same time or do you hold the state until the federal clears and then send it? Holding a state until the federal clears always made me a bit uncomfortable because it didnt seem like a true piggyback if the state gets efiled days later. What is the purpose of holding the state until the federal clears?

Thanks

I don't do many state returns, so I can't claim to be an expert. I will typically piggyback just to make my life easier. Just send it once per client like all the others.

But the primary advantage I see to holding the state is in case the Federal rejects. If you have to fix something on the federal it could cause a change to the state. If the state got accepted based on the original Fed, then you have to amend the state.

We can still piggyback with TRX, though, right?

Kea, Thanks for the reply. That was my thought process also. If fed is rejected and it affects the state then you would need to amend the state if it was accepted. Thankfully I havent had that problem.

All the returns I have efiled this year with TRX have had the state as piggyback.

I'm in Missouri, which is a piggyback state, and I file them both at the same time. If the Fed rejects, the state automatically rejects. Any fix I do to the Fed carries to state. This way, I don't have to remember to file the state separately, if things turn to a madhouse around here.

I'm in Missouri, which is a piggyback state, and I file them both at the same time. If the Fed rejects, the state automatically rejects. Any fix I do to the Fed carries to state. This way, I don't have to remember to file the state separately, if things turn to a madhouse around here.

I must be getting old. Now that you mention it, I believe that it is handled similarly in Pa. Thanks

Good morning, Crank...and all others.

I am working quickly today to get my arms around what is open and what still needs attention, and it appears as though I can call this one good to go? If not, please let me know, as I am very happy to help.

I have subscribed to this and will also be watching all other inbound issues so that I can help you as best as I am able.

Thank you.

Ryan