ATX Community

w2 with ITIN and social security

rich

I have never dealt with this situation, but I read the following on the IRS Site:

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=120580,00.html

Tax returns filed with an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number reporting wages paid are required to show the Social Security Number under which the wages were earned. This creates an identification number (ITIN/SSN) mismatch. In the past, returns with this mismatch could only be filed on paper. Due to programming changes the IRS' e-file system can now accept these returns. The taxpayer's correct ITIN should be used as the identifying number at the top of Form 1040. When inputting W-2 information, the SSN should be entered exactly as shown on the Form W-2 issued by the employer. It is now possible to e-file a return with an ITIN/SSN mismatch.

Does the client have an SSN or an ITIN?

If they have an ITIN, you must enter the ITIN at the top of the return, and then in the W-2 input sheet, where it says "Taxpayer Identification Number", enter in the SSN that you see on one of the W-2.

If you notice, whenever there is an ITIN on the top of the return, ATX will not automatically enter the ITIN for the taxpayer on the W-2 Input sheet.

Actually, Pacun, now you CAN efile them. New this year.

I believe you could efile if the client has an ITIN, but poster didn't specify wether the return will be filed with ITIN or SS#.

You cannot efile if the client is filing with a SS#. I had a client who has a SS# and by mistake his employer had a typo on her w-2. ATX didn't let me efile.

Hi

I have a similar situation, client has an ITIN but his W2 forms instead of social security number said "Applied For".

Can't e-file return and I am afraid to send it by mail, according with new IRS rules can't paper file.

Pedro

You can paper file by attaching form 8948 with 1040 and keeping one for your records. If efile is rejected with an error code, you mention that error code in form 8948.