ATX Community

Duplicate DCN Error

Crank

In the Efile settings I have my starting batch at 1 and ending batch at 999. The program is only installed on one computer. I have efiled several returns so far.

I was attempting to create an efile and recieved a "Duplicate DCN Error". I called TRX who said they had a few calls about this and of course they did a screen share. The solution was to check the "force DCN" box on the EF tab and change my starting DCN batch number (in Efile Settings) from 1 to 10. They then created the efile. It remains in my In Send Clients as Im debating wheter to send or recreate it.

Now this makes me a bit nervous since my DCNs will now be out of order. They said this error should be corrected with the 8.10 update later today. So, Im considering waiting for the update and to then change things back to my original settings and try it again.

1.) Has anyone else recieved the "Duplicate DCN Error"?

2.) Does anyone think I am correct to be a bit nervous about thier proposed solution?

This really does make me uncomfortable using their soultion.

Thanks

Update.

I closed out all my programs, cleared my cache, temp files etc. using a program called CCleaner by Piriform (They have great programs that I have been using for years and they are free at www.piriform.com). Then I rebooted my computer and changed my EF settings back to the original settings. (starting batch 1, ending batch 999)

It created the efile with no problems and then prompted me that a similar file existed in my Send Clients and asked if I would like to overwrite it so I said yes. Went into the EF Center and sent it.

The program has not been updated from the version 8.9 so Im not sure why it worked this time and not previously. I do think that cleaning out the "crap" and rebooting, which obviously included restarting the TRX program did the trick. Im am going to do this in the future if I encounter any simuilar problems before contacting TRX. The constant requests to screen share and giving up control bother me since one time previously they wiped out my invoice settings and I didnt have them backed up (my fault).

Hopefully this will help others if they run into these types of situations.

I noticed a DCN that was way out of sequence. I was generating 401, 402, 403, ... and then one showed up as 301. I used the 'force DCN' box and it started over at 401. Repeated 'force DCN' until it was in proper sequence. No problems since then.

It looks like the DCN is generated when you do a review that passes the e-file test, and that you don't actually have to generate the e-file until you're ready to transmit. This avoids having clients in the 'Send Client' list who aren't actually ready to send (e.g. haven't signed yet.)

Another Dup DCN error, even with the 8.10 upgrade. Is it the program or am I causing it somehow? Going to try to close everthing and reboot and see if that clears it again.

Edit Nope, still not clearing it. I just realized that I may have signed 8879s with incorrect DCNs.... Not good! (And TRX Tech support tells me "there are no DCN's on form 8879... REALLY!).

I just confirmed that the DCNs on these 2 returns Im trying to file have been used for previous clients that are already filed and are either accepted or held at the filing center.

Why is the program generating a DCN that is the same as was previously generated and filed?

I think Ive identified the problem. I dont do returns while the people wait. They drop off, I work on the pile, speak by phone or email if there are issues and prepare the return. When we are satisfied I print out everythng ahead of time and then review it with them when they come in to finalize the return. The problem is the only way to generate a practioner pin 8879 is by filling in all the information incuding the Date, which I just use the date im printing and then change it accordingly to the actual date of the efile.

When the 8879 generates it also generates a DCN, which you think would be fine. However, the program does not reserve this DCN for this this exact return. So if you efile another return before the printed one is efiled it will used the next available DCN (which really isnt available since its printed on a waiting to be efiled return)

So when you attempt to file the first return it finds out that than DCN has alread been used.

TRX tech support was usless on this issue insisting that I am "over analyzing this" (I have heard this twice now from 2 different TRX techs - must be a standard stament for "They have no idea"). Also telling me that the program generates DCNs when you clear all the "Audits" so dont clear the audits unti the taxpayer is there any ready to sign. How can you prepare a return ahead of time without clearing "audits".

Im am so mad about this issue and TRX's canned answer. Of course I analyze things.... Im a CPA

Ryan,

Is there anything that can be done about this issue of reserving a DCN when an 8879 is printed, but if the return isnt efiled then the next return efiled will use this same DCN that is now on printed 8879s of the first return?.

It would make sence that if the program assigned a DCN to a return by printing 8879s then no matter what, that DCN should not be still available for other returns.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else seeing these duplicated DCN being generated? I keep getting them and have been corresponding with some people at TaxWorks. So far out of 24 efiles generated, some filed & some waiting to be filed, I have confirmed 5 that generated a DCN which was previously assigned to another return. There possibly 1-2 more that it happened to but I wasnt keeping track at that time and cant identify which they were.

This is beginning to get frustrating and causing concern but the issue is easily rectified by forcing a new DCN so it really hasnt had any negative consequences.

John Toone (Ryan's brother) at TaxWorks has been very nice and helpfull and trying to determine the cause, whether its something I am doing or some sort of glitch. TRX told me that they have had this issue with other returns but did not specify an amount.

If this is happening to others please post in this thread so we will be aware if it is affecting others as well.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I havent had any duplicate DCNs in a while and thought I would update this thread.

Ryan from Taxworks put me in touch with John Toone (Ryan's brother) at TaxWorks to try to find out why I was getting these errors. Well, long story short, it is believed that a TRX Tech Support individual performed a change to my database after the initial install which reset the DCN counter. I hate that TRX techs always want to do "screen shares" and I am now very carefull about letting them do that any more.

I had an issue where a return was generating two local returns in review but only had one in input mode. The TRX Tech suggested a screen share and went into some parts of the progam I wasnt familiar with, reloaded baseline files and did some other changes in an attempt to fix the problem. He never did get the problem fixed, the return still has two locals but it really screwed-up my DCNs.

So, just a warning about allowing screen shares.

Thanks Ryan, John & Juliana @ TaxWorks for your help on this issue.

I agree completely about screen share problems. I will only do it as a last resort.

When I first switched to TRX it was at the same time that I got my Vista computer. I was testing prior year programs (TaxWise or Intellitax -- I forget which). Well prior years were not compatible with Vista. It was a problem with MS SQL server. Somewhere along the line it started working. But then I couldn't get the new year to work (which was Vista compatible). Tech Support did a screen share & put me on hold. To make the current year work, they deleted the old MS SQL server. That made the old programs stop working & I had used the prior year for a state return. (My basic ATX program had a 3 state limit & I needed one more state.) Being on hold, they could not hear me tell them to not delete that. I also could not get control back of my mouse. I never was able to get the old SQL server back. I could never get back to that state return.

I'm somewhat tech savvy (not an expert, but know a few things). I would really rather them ask me to look at what they want to know & I will be happy to tell them. I am also able to make most changes they would suggest.

At least the times I've agreed to screen share since then they haven't put me on hold.