ATX Community

Babies having babies

Janitor Bob

I've had two so far this year. I feel so sad for these girls, and even more so for their babies. It's terrible, IMHO, that our society today seems to encourage these children to keep and try to raise their babies, since it is the babies who end up with the short side of the stick. As an adopted child myself, I just wish I could advise them that if they really do love their babies, they give them the wonderful gift of an intact family made up of mature and solvent adult parents. OK, I will get off the soapbox now. If you don't agree, please just pass on and don't try to start an argument over this.

Yes, one of my two so far is a child that I first met when she was still in the infant carrier as I did her mother's return. I've seen her each year since then, as she grew into a lovely young girl. I've encouraged her to attempt excellence in high school, even buying her a special calculator when she decided to take an advanced math class. She has earned a full academic scholarship at Harding, a respected private collage here in AR. Then, at 17, she got pregnant by her nice but loser boyfriend. She had her baby just days before her 18th birthday. And, of course, she is keeping the baby, living at home with her hard-working mother and disabled and dying father, and still hoping to go to college. What a life that child is going to face!

jb and kc, i feel the empathy in this thread.

for what it's worth...

yes, in the usa (or since western civilization's 18th century's era of enlightenment) there could be a better outcome for an unwed mom and child...but, for almost anywhere else in the world, a similar outcome would be much worse.