ATX Community

Still-unprovided forms driving me nuts

TaxCPANY

1040 Planner un-updated since November; NYC-3L AND CT-400 AND 1041 e-filing still missing; and 1040-ES provided (but WITHOUT a non-draft 1040 Planner as an alternative) only this week, finally. *Plus, the AR clergy bug KC reported, today.*

How can I tell my clients I'm holding their returns or, at best, delivering only the 2010 part, without sounding like a cheapskate idiot for having relied on CCH/ATX to update their forms, TWO months after Congress' historically-late (12/17/10), last tinkering with the IRC?!

Maybe I didn't take the pre-emptive elimination of Asset History to heart, back when. Now, I'm readier than ever to leave ATX and to flame them in every forum I can reach.

WTF?! TaxCPANY

Feel better?

Watching a number of different boards, I can tell you that ATX is not the only software company having issues. I understand there are others that may be closer to having everything in order, but generally those are the ones you are going to pay high four or even low five figure dollars for the software.

Look before you leap!

It is not just ATX. At my day job, our CPA is still holding one of our LLC tax returns waiting for the 8825 to be approved. I asked him about it yesterday and he double checked to make sure it could not be filed yet. I had the info to him by Jan 15th and the return was completed by Jan 31st. I think our CPA uses ProSystem fx.

I just finished an LLC return last night on ATX with an 8825 for one of my clients and it is an approved form.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the tax form approvals this year.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Check the agency responsible for the form. In most cases, when the form is final, it is available on their web site. 9For instance, 8825 was finalized 2/12). There are some that have a developer process, which is not available to the public, but not many.

Once you have a confirmed final date from the agency, ask your software provider what their release date is.

The IRS is pretty easy, their draft forms are available for viewing, and for the most part, don't change significantly before final (sometimes wording, but very rarely positioning of the data). IRS had Notice 1036 posted and available BEFORE the actual laws were signed!

NYS is a pain as they contract out with another company to process certain forms, so the approval process is lengthy and makes little sense at times.

Signed, A person who has to answer this question several times a day about Form 941...

1040 Planner un-updated since November; NYC-3L AND CT-400 AND 1041 e-filing still missing; and 1040-ES provided (but WITHOUT a non-draft 1040 Planner as an alternative) only this week, finally. *Plus, the AR clergy bug KC reported, today.*

How can I tell my clients I'm holding their returns or, at best, delivering only the 2010 part, without sounding like a cheapskate idiot for having relied on CCH/ATX to update their forms, TWO months after Congress' historically-late (12/17/10), last tinkering with the IRC?!

Maybe I didn't take the pre-emptive elimination of Asset History to heart, back when. Now, I'm readier than ever to leave ATX and to flame them in every forum I can reach.

WTF?! TaxCPANY

Did I make it clear that there is an easy 'workaround' for that bug? Yes, it's a pain, but not a big one, just a little twinge. You 'add' the AR 4, and you go to the line 7 worksheet and do 'start link' on the total and then then go to the AR 1000F and do 'finish link' on line 8. Done. Everything else works just fine. And yes, I confirmed with the AR efile help desk that that will work fine for them.