ATX Community

American Oportunity Credit or not?

Lucho

A taxpayer is attending college to take especial courses to keep his job but not pursuing a degree and wife is also in college taking general education.

In the “Questions and Answers” from IRS website I read: Who is eligible for the American opportunity tax credit?

A. A taxpayer who pays qualified tuition and related expenses and whose federal income tax return has a modified adjusted gross income of $80,000 or less ($160,000 or less for joint filers) is eligible for the credit. The credit is reduced ratably if a taxpayer’s modified adjusted gross income exceeds those amounts. A taxpayer whose modified adjusted gross income is greater than $90,000 ($180,000 for joint filers) cannot benefit from this credit.

Does this mean that any taxpayer for the only fact that attended to an accredited school and pay tuition for whatever course is eligible for the “AOC”?

Do these taxpayers qualify for that credit?

Right now I am having trouble downloading Pub. 970 because of my computer (I don’t know what wrong with it).

Any help please.

Lucho .

Thank you