ATX Community

ADR

Lion EA

What does ADR mean along with a stock name on a Form 1099-B? ASML ADR shares sold, for instance.

American Depository Receipt. This is a foreign company traded on a U.S. stock market. This particular company is based in the Netherlands. You handle it like any stock sale, nothing (normally) too complicated.

American Depository Receipt. This is a foreign company traded on a U.S. stock market. This particular company is based in the Netherlands. You handle it like any stock sale, nothing (normally) too complicated.

Client sent me his W-2 with a V in excess of $3,000. Then his 1099-B with a sale from the same name as him employer with ADR after it but for less than $1,400 and FIT W/H of nearly $400. Was wondering if the two things are connected, but doesn't look like any NQ stock option I've ever seen since why would he sell it for less than he paid via compensation? Just trying to learn something before I question him!

He works for that company in NY, resides in CT.

His W-2 Box 12 Code V $3076. Form 1099-B Box 2 $1,392 Box 4 $390. Confirmation of Sell to Cover letter gives Total Gain $3076 but Total Sale Proceeds $1392.

I was especially confused by Box 4 W/H on Form 1099-B, but the letter does list Backup W/H $390 as well as Taxes - Federal $769 Medicare...etc. so the $390 is in addition to the usual payroll taxes which were withheld and are already reported on his W-2.

I think I can make this work, but it's not what I usually see. I would've expected the gain $3076 on his W-2...