ATX Community

Refund delays on returns w/5405 repayment

elfling

Has anyone else noticed an "across-the-board" delay in refunds to tp who had the 5405 repayment on the return? We have 5 of them and that went from 2/25 potential deposit, to expect 3/1 deposit, to now showing delayed via Where's My Refund. One client is especially steamed. I know there is nothing we can do, but I was wondering if anyone else is encountering the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed an "across-the-board" delay in refunds to tp who had the 5405 repayment on the return? We have 5 of them and that went from 2/25 potential deposit, to expect 3/1 deposit, to now showing delayed via Where's My Refund. One client is especially steamed. I know there is nothing we can do, but I was wondering if anyone else is encountering the same.

I called your station last night about the IRS delays on processing form 5405. I claimed the 2008 Homebuyers tax credit. This is the year that I start paying it back. I filed my taxes on 01/31/11 but Turbo TAX said that they could not actually file until 02/14/11 because of the late session on tax laws. The IRS acknowledged receipt of my return on 02/16/64. They told me that I could expect direct deposit date of 02/25/11. It did not come. I checked online at “where’s my refund” on the IRS website and it said you can expect payment by 03/01/2011. I checked back on 03/04/11 when I did not receive it again and this time the website said we have it and it is being processed but below that it said call this number and ask for # 362. I called the IRS and they stated that there was a slight delay on processing anyone filing with form 5405 for the credit or the repayment. Today is 03/11/11 I still did not receive my refund. I called the IRS again. Their response is this.. We have a computer glitch that we are hoping to resolve within two weeks. If you don’t get your refund after 30 days call us back. I asked the representative why they have not made a public announcement regarding the computer glitch and her response was “ If they don’t get it fixed in two weeks they will be making a public announcement” MY response was this,” Are people not burning up your phone lines asking where their money is?” Does that not take up valuable time that could be better served by just coming clean and letting everyone know? They have known for at least two years that people would begin paying these credits back…. Is our system so broke that no one thought to test the system for bugs? I went to Turbo Tax Community and checked out what everyone was saying. The funny thing is each one had a different excuse from the IRS about the delay up until the last two days. Now the stories are starting to match…. I think this is newsworthy!

This is a huge pain!! have a very understanding client but... she is due a monster refund that she is used to getting the first week of feb. So what does anyone have a plan of action if this goes two more weeks?? i know the whole "hey there is nothing i can do about it i just send it in and the irs is processing" but this person is really in bad shape because of this and i cant just tell her she will get it when she gets it

jeff

4 of the 5 clients we have stuck in this IRS delay are doing alright in understanding it is an IRS issue out of my control.

BUT the remaining one has truly fallen off the deep end! He got so far out of line that my husband felt the need to step-in to protect me. The confrontation did not get physical, but certainly could have had the man not left our property. We've put in writing to this guy that further communication with our office will result in legal action for harrassment. Of course, this person will no longer be a client. He's more than "fired."

In 25 years in business I've never encountered such a thing as this. Scary!! :ninja:

Is the economy really so bad that folks are desperate enough to become threatening? :dunno: I certainly hope that it's just a case of one idiot. He'd been a somewhat irritating client for several years. Chronically having missed something resulting in amendments. I'm glad to be shed of him, but didn't need the drama! :spaz:

I called your station last night about the IRS delays on processing form 5405. I claimed the 2008 Homebuyers tax credit. This is the year that I start paying it back. I filed my taxes on 01/31/11 but Turbo TAX said that they could not actually file until 02/14/11 because of the late session on tax laws. The IRS acknowledged receipt of my return on 02/16/64. They told me that I could expect direct deposit date of 02/25/11. It did not come. I checked online at "where's my refund" on the IRS website and it said you can expect payment by 03/01/2011. I checked back on 03/04/11 when I did not receive it again and this time the website said we have it and it is being processed but below that it said call this number and ask for # 362. I called the IRS and they stated that there was a slight delay on processing anyone filing with form 5405 for the credit or the repayment. Today is 03/11/11 I still did not receive my refund. I called the IRS again. Their response is this.. We have a computer glitch that we are hoping to resolve within two weeks. If you don't get your refund after 30 days call us back. I asked the representative why they have not made a public announcement regarding the computer glitch and her response was " If they don't get it fixed in two weeks they will be making a public announcement" MY response was this," Are people not burning up your phone lines asking where their money is?" Does that not take up valuable time that could be better served by just coming clean and letting everyone know? They have known for at least two years that people would begin paying these credits back…. Is our system so broke that no one thought to test the system for bugs? I went to Turbo Tax Community and checked out what everyone was saying. The funny thing is each one had a different excuse from the IRS about the delay up until the last two days. Now the stories are starting to match…. I think this is newsworthy!

Please let us know how "Turbo Tax Community" will make any difference in how the IRS chooses to proceed with these matters. I am especially anxious to see the "newsworthy" stories that hit the airwaves!