ATX Community

Clients not giving you all the information needed!

Kimberly K

Okay, I am venting a little. Two of my clients have failed to give me info needed to complete an accurate return.

One client came in a few days ago and wanted to drop off all of his papers, I have been preparing his return since 1999. He took a distribution from an IRA, that I knew nothing about. Back in 2007 he left his current employer and took a large distribution but rolled over a portion of it. Then a year later added around 10000 to the IRA. So now I wait for his broker to get back to me on the value of this IRA.

This morning, a client was dropping off the worksheet for Form 982, so I can figure out if he is insolvent or not on a credit card COD. He handed me the paper and started to go out the door and said "This form wanted more info from me, than the paperwork I had to fill out when we filed for bankruptcy, okay see ya later" I let him go, once I am in his return, I will find out all the info needed for the bankruptcy. ( Like whether this credit card was included in it or not)

At this point I am just stunned.

The last three I have picked up are missing information. These are long time clients, too. Must be something in the water, Bert. And, it IS frustrating, because of the "start/stop/call/wait/start again" thing if nothing else.

Always have a few that bring in part of their stuff like it secures their place in line, too. It does not.

The frustrating part was not knowing anything about the IRA for the one and then, when and if the other client was ever going to clue me in on the bankruptcy. But you are right Rita, the start and stop and restart of the return is annoying, but I guess it comes with the job.

Oh and I try not to babysit, but sometimes you have to. I hate hold returns, and I know this comes from years of the ex-DM jumping down your throat if you let a return sit too long.