ATX Community

tatoo removal as job search expense

ljwalters

True. Very personal.

I simply cannot imagine any fire personnel having a leg exposed while on the job. Since clothes/gear would already be covering it removal should not have been necessary. Plus there are extremely good topical concealers on the market these days.

Just my 2¢.

I think if her employer asked her to get rid of it with the condition of employment is discrimination, my wife works for large corporation and they are really serious when it comes to tattoos, don't show don't tell. I think she is trying to pull your leg and agree her with.

>>clothes/gear would already be covering it<<

That gear just covers the wall until she puts it on. During that process, co-workers might well be offended if the tattoo has political, religious, or other social relevance.

True. But that is a personal issue.

From a tax standpoint, I agree with no deduction no way. :)

Socially, I've been called a bit of a liberal. Kids I work with call me a "biker chick." Most of our family do ride motocycles. B) My first husband (who died many years back) was the president of the Lost Riders Motorcycle Club PA chapter. He was the stereotypical bearer of cyclist tattoos. My current husband has a combination of native american and age of dragon tattoos. I have 6 tattoos myself, all birds, that most people think are rather pretty. All 4 of our daughters also sport very tasteful body art as do the sons-in-law. Most of the pieces are not exposed during the colder northeast winters, but we love letting them show during warmer months. It's part of who we are and we'd never consider removal. In fact, it takes many months, sometimes years, to decide on having a new piece added because each peice is very personal and is expected to be permanent.

On the job front, being self-employed, I don't ever need to cover up my art. My office, my way. But other family members have been employed by outfits where tattoos are not allowed to be visible. That is easily accomplished via clothing or cosmetics, not removal. One of my favorite sayings applies here: Be who you are. Those that matter don't mind; those that mind don't matter.

She was asked at the interview if she had any tattoos. And then where they were. Only the one on her leg, above the sock line and below the knee was asked to be removed as a condition of employment. Fire fighters some times where shorts evidently. She is with Calfire. I did not give her the deduction but had to ask. He was hoping for a job search cost deduction. After she removed the tattoo, she got a job at another station in a different town. The cost was $1300.

I can see why she went to the expense, a lot of cities are lying off police and fire, not hiring. Just a sign of the times I guess.

Linda and buddy