ATX Community

Invoice choices

JJStephens

Maybe I'm missing something but . . .

For many years I did manual invoices. I included two W2s in my standard base rate and then charged a nominal fee for each additional W2; same with 1099s. A couple years ago I started using the billing feature in ATX. I just dropped my base rate a couple bucks and began charging for each W2/1099.

I have not been able to figure out a way to do that in TaxWise. Anyone have any idea how to do that?

Having this feature is very useful but, I for one, don't charge anything extra for a few extra W-2 forms. Some of these returns can be completed quite quickly and I have a hard time justifying additional fees especially if the return is rolled forward from a previous year where the base information of the W-2 already exists. I'm not saying it is wrong to charge extra but that it doesn't work for me.

Are you talking about Tax Wise or Tax Works. In the TRX program, you can go to Invoice Settings under the settings menu and a short way down the list you can put in the amount for the W2 summary and an amount for each additional W2. I don't know if TRX is offering Tax Wise this year or not.

My bad. I meant Tax Works (it was late!)

I now see the 'per item' column. Are you sure it was there before and they didn't just sneak it in now to mess with my head ;)

I don't charge per W2 either. W2 and 1099R are included in my base rates. It's been a long, long time since anyone brought me ten or fifteen W2s.

Even with charging this way my overall fees are still (by far) the lowest in town. I pare down my base rate to offset it--that makes it a bit cheaper for the majority of my clients who don't have the 6-12 W2s that a handful have. I guess we all get to a bottom line by different routes. I feel pretty comfortable with my overall structure, especially given that my fees tend to run about 75-80% of the local going rates.