ATX Community

RDP efile redux

joanmcq

So on TaxAlmanac, I find a link to a discussion between the IRS and preparers regarding the new community property split which says the IRS can begin accepting these as efiles in mid-February. It also indicates Lacerte has already been updated to allow this.

So after looking for a new check box or something that would indicate this is being filed under the CCA and not finding anything, I call tech support to determine if:

1. there is a checkbox

2. there will be an update allowing the MFS worksheet to be used on a single return

3. If there is any other way of doing this.

After speaking to a nice guy that didn't know anything about the issue, I was transferred to 'a guy that knows everything about the program'. Well after going round and round that this wasn't a CA issue, but a Federal issue, and what it was (and complaining that I've had to work-around the ATX notion that the CA returns can't be efiled when they can), I tell him I have:

1. tried pasting a spreadsheet into the preparer notes

2. typing the info into the preparer notes...doesn't work

3. created my own master form, which won't efile

4. resigned myself to paper filing until I saw other software packages allow the efiling.

He suggested attaching a PDF. Bingo! So I go to the efile tab....and 'attach PDF' is grayed out. I say so. He says the return has to be ready to file. I say it is. So if this works, that would be great, since I can save an excel worksheet as a PDF.

After awhile, he says its something that might only be allowed on business returns. And will get back to me in 24-48 hours.