ATX Community

Distribution from Roth IRA

Yardley CPA

Single filer who is 54 years old and retired under an incentive from his employer. Met age and time worked guidelines. He needed some extra funds and decided to tap his Roth IRA for $10,500. Received 1099R showing the gross distribution as $10,500 and -0- as the Taxable Amount with the Taxable amount not determined box checked. Client indicates this entire distribution consists of his contributions and no growth. He also had surgery during the year and indicates he is "disabled". I know there is Schedule R that we can have completed to verify the disability. I also know that distributions from a Roth may qualify as tax free if the recipient is under 59.5 and disabled.

My question pertains to the Roth Distribution. Given his age, would the entire distribution be considered not taxable (if he were not considered disabled), showing on form 8606 that the basis and the distribution amount are the same? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!