ATX Community

Home Buyer Credit

Margaret CPA in OH

Client is physician and family who owned a home in Maine from May 2005 until July 2009 then relocated to Missouri and rented until June 2010 when they closed on another house having a binding contract as of March 2010. I am thinking they don't quite fit the criteria of "previously owned and used the same main home as your main home for any 5-consecutive-year period during the 8-year period ending on the date you purchased your new main home."

I think, following the letter of this phrase, they do not qualify because of the break in between the sale of the Maine/main home and the purchase (even with the binding contract in March) of the Missouri main home.

Other opinions?

Yeah, that's my real problem. Had they been closer, it's likely they could have held on until the new purchase but who wants to be paying a mortgage on and empty house in Maine and rent in Missouri while trying to find another home in a totally new area? They won't be happy but it is what it is. And she is a physician who had medical school loans forgiven by working in a low income clinic for 5 years and is making a whole lot more than I am now.

I know my personal opinions shouldn't be a factor but I have trouble feeling for her and others when my own son missed the cutoff by 2 weeks because the seller dawdled. He makes about 30% of her wages and really could have used the money. Off the soapbox now...