ATX Community

HSA form

L.S.

this form drives me crazy. i need to understand it. client has family hsa with box 12 showing code w at $4050. also got the ssa showing normal distribution amount of $3047. in filling out the form 8889 i get a line 13 deduction of $2100 and line 17 as 0. does this make sense?? am i missing something?? any help is appreciated

L.S.

Be sure you fill out the work sheet for line 1, 2, and 3. Check tabs at the bottom. Irf the taxpayer did not make an additional contribution then line 13 should be 0 or blank. And the cacher is the double entry on part II line 15. you must reenter the amount of qualified distributions or you will get a figure on line 17 which you don't want. This is a tricky form, it took me several years and a couple of amended returns to finally get it right.

Linda and buddy

Thanks for info - one more question. in this case employer paid $1125 and employee paid $5025 with the W-2 showing Code W of $6150 so the Form 8889 has in line 9 $6150 and client looks over return and sees Line 9 showing $6150 and says that's not right because employer paid $1125 and she paid $5025. Have I done something wrong? I WILL conquer this form!