ATX Community

PA Schedule G-S

HV Ken

Client, MFJ, lives in PA and both TP and SP work in NY. Both have NY taxes withheld on W-2.

When filing out the PA 40 return, on the Sch G-S, when I click on Filer the values that go into Part I number 2 column A are the combined for TP and SP. Same is true if I click on Spouse. When I click on Joint, column A boxes a-c go blank. The return appears to be correct if I check either the Filer or Spouse box, but intuitively I would expect only to see the TP values when I click on Filer, the SP values when I click on Spouse, and the combined values when I click on Joint.

Is it correct to merely click the Filer box, since the return is correct, and submit it that way? Or is there some subtle program usage that I am missing to get what would be expected with the Joint box?

Thanks.

Client, MFJ, lives in PA and both TP and SP work in NY. Both have NY taxes withheld on W-2.

When filing out the PA 40 return, on the Sch G-S, when I click on Filer the values that go into Part I number 2 column A are the combined for TP and SP. Same is true if I click on Spouse. When I click on Joint, column A boxes a-c go blank. The return appears to be correct if I check either the Filer or Spouse box, but intuitively I would expect only to see the TP values when I click on Filer, the SP values when I click on Spouse, and the combined values when I click on Joint.

Is it correct to merely click the Filer box, since the return is correct, and submit it that way? Or is there some subtle program usage that I am missing to get what would be expected with the Joint box?

Thanks.

I saw your post this morning, but since I havent done a sch G-S this year, I didnt respond. At Block everything just flowed to the form, ATX is lacking flow on this form. But it can be easily changed, since PA combines all income for MFJ, I would click MFJ at the top and in the second column only include the NY income. But if your way works, go with that!

At block I always included the other state return with the PA (whenever a SCH G is needed) I also included the PA return when filing the other state return. I am not sure how to include these with ATX efiled, so I would send both as paper returns.