ATX Community

IRS: The Truth about Frivolous Tax Arguments

ILLMAS

A clever tax avoidance claim is not effective now. Chances are the Internal Revenue Service have heard it before. The IRS 2011 report on the most popular excuses people use to try and escape the federal tax collector would make most taxpayers laugh at some of the frivolous tax quarrels people come up with, but the IRS is not amused. It is some what arguments that IRS are used to.

A few years ago, a bunch or workers at a nearby utility plant convinced themselves the taxes were not legal because of some stupid reason or other. One of them was in my office and asked me what I thought; whether he could use this theory to escape paying taxes. I listened to the lengthy tale, and said, "Yes, that sounds good to me. But in order for your buddies to win their case, they will have to appear before a federal judge who has a job for life, a big salary, great retirement, and top-drawer benefits -- all paid for by income taxes. Want to take the chance that he'll rule in your favor?" End of discussion.