ATX Community

Tax Software Shipping Dates

Mike D

I spoke with TRX today and they informed me that they will begin shipping 2011 tax software programs on Decenber 12, 2011.

This is a bit lateer than last year however accordind to them, they allegedly had lots of programming changes to deal with.

Thought you might like to know.

Mike Dubin CPA

• 2 weeks later...

I received mine today (Wednesday). I have the TRX PRO (TaxWorks) version. Installed without incident. It looks like they've changed the update function so the red gear is no longer in the system tray. I set it to check for and download updates every eight hours, but install manually.

Suggest we set up a new thread to discuss new fetures as we find them.

Don EA in Upstate NY

Interestingly, I never received my software. I called today and they provided me with a link to download. Pretty straightforward and all of my 2010 files have been rolled over to 2011 accurately.

Anyone else encounter these issues?

Thanks and happy holidays to all.

Mike Dubin CPA

No problems here, and Ive had to install it twice.

On tuesday I some how picked up a nasty piece of malware called "Vista Antivirus 2012" and had to wipe everything and do another clean install. This is fake virus software that wants you to buy it to remove all the fake malware it discovers (and itself). It locks you out of your internet connection, most files you try to run including doing a system restore.

My son had it about a month ago on his Windows7 laptop and I used a recovery disc to perform a system restore to an earlier date to get rid of it. Sadly, my Vista install disc doesn't give a restore option nor does Vista allow you to make a restore disc.

First time in 25 years that I had a system taken out by a virus. And Im pretty careful about keeping virus/malware software up to date and scanning. Ive now also installed "Microsofty Security Essentials" and "Ad-Aware". Hopefully they will prevent further infections.

This would have been devastating during tax season.

My daughter had the same virus, Vista Antivirus 2012, I removed it by going to windows safemode and running the free version of Malawarebytes anti-malware. This removes the virus but the virus did damage to the registry file. I fixed the registry file by running the CCleaner utility, "fix registry"..

Computer was back to normal..

This virus is running rampant in the download websites where people download and share files such as music and video..

Thanks Ed. I had read that Malwarebytes can be effective for this virus so I've downloaded it. I tried safemode but the virus popped up there also. I also read that people have been getting infected from ads on mainstream news site. I usually have some new sites tabs open (CNN, Fox, Drudge, CNBC & local newspapers). I dont know where I got it from but my kids dont use this computer so I know it wasnt from a download.