ATX Community

Credit Card Processing Company

Chowdahead

I am pretty much resigned to the fact that I need to accept credit cards. Last year I used Intuit's service and while it worked ok, it was somewhat more expensive than I expected. Additionally, their system ended up triple billing one of my most pain-in-the-butt clients. It was a nightmare. Plus Intuit charges $70 for each swiper, which I think is a rip-off.

While I will go with Intuit again if absolutely necessary, does anyone have any recommendations for another company.

I did order a Square mobile card reader, but my only gripe with it is you can't print a receipt. It must be e-mailed. Some clients want a paper receipt. I thought perhaps I could e-mail the receipt to myself and print it for them. It is more expensive at 2.75%, but there is no monthly fee. But I'm thinking some clients may be a bit uncomfortable with me pulling out my phone and swiping their card through it.

Does ATX offer anyway to accept credit cards within the program? What other fair priced options are out there?

As a QB ProAdvisor, I pay no monthly fees. I don't rent or purchase a swiper (I too have one for my iPhone if I'm at a client's site) so pay a bit more to type in client info on my computer or anywhere I have internet service. But, it's still a good value to get paid now rather than later, to have the funds deposited into my account instead of driving to the bank, etc.

I've heard that CoCard is good and inexpensive and recommended by NATP. Costco has merchant services. I have colleagues that use Merchants Choice, RelianceMerchantServices.com, and World Pay. PayPal takes credit cards (and checks from those clients with PayPal accounts). Search online and compare prices.

I have used Cocard for the last three or four years. They are the most reasonable. I got involved with some research with a previous client of the different credit card processing companies to compare their services and costs. The client went with Cocard as well. Now for us seasonal folks, Cocard can offer you a seasonal account that you will only be billed for the months you actively use the service. Also, lets say you swipe a guys card in August (off season) Cocard will only bill you for that month. Also, they will prorate the PCI compliance. I found out all of this after I decided to close my merchant account with them because the PCI fees were billed each month during the inactive portion of the season. The representative informed me of all of the options and quite frankly, I couldn't refuse. You will have to purchase a machine to swipe the cards. I don't use a pin pad and run everything as credit inlcluding the debit transactions. Because I am now on the seasonal plan, this service more than pays for itself. I can give you contact information if you like.

I prefer checks and use paypal.com when they want to pay by credit. Paypal.com lets me send them an invoice from within paypal and they can click on it for payment.

I pay no monthly fees but the transaction cost is 4% of the gross amount paid. It is becoming convenient to invoice someone in advance prior to mailing something or providing a service.