ATX Community

dependent question

Trnr395

I have a client who had a cousin with a foster child, the foster child was taken out of that home because of "issues which i didn't ask" and now lives with my client. He lived there all year and doesn't have any income and is 17 years old. They can claim him for a dependent with the qualifying relative rules but just to double check myself he can't be claimed for EIC purposes because there technically is no relationship and I entered other in the dependent information. Am I correct in this, questioned myself a couple times on this.

Thanks

One other item to consider, if it makes sense to ask, if there is payment to the family for fostering, then the foster parents might be better off not claimind dependent even if they meet the financial test.

Many states not only provide a small foster care payment, they provide medical coverage as well, even in "family" fosters. Medical and money can be provided separately as well. Such payments are considered support provided by someone else...