ATX Community

Doctor's 'concierge' fee

Diane

I have a client whose primary care doctor is going to charge an annual fee to his patients. He will only be taking the first 600 who sign up. They call it a concierge fee. This fee is supposedly going to give each patient more time with the doctor and more wellness programs. She is asking if it will be deductible as a medical expense. My first inclination is Yes. Has anyone else heard of this?

Diane

The firm (Concierge Choice) giving a presentation to us patients said that a fee to be eligible for concierge services would not be a medical deduction as it's an administrative fee. However, if the annual fee covers, for instance, a physical exam or other medical services only offered to concierge patients, then the fee is a medical deduction. Not that I'd trust such an administrative service to prepare my taxes, but their nationwide legal department provides a jumping off point for futher research.