ATX Community

NY Now Requires TP Driver License info on NY Tax Returns

Lynn EA USTCP in Louisiana

NYS Now Requires TP Driver License info on NY Tax Returns 

To those of you who prepare NY tax returns - please be advised that there is a recently passed provision requiring taxpayer (and spouse) driver license ID information - which at present - is required for 2016 tax returns.

While NYSSEA does not have anything specifically definitive in had to provide even its own members at present - we were advised by top NYS tax officials that it is law. Some software companies are aware of it - the major ones- some are not.  I strongly advise you to consult your software vendor regarding this issue ASAP before you begin processing NYS returns.

Since there's so much controversy over this issue on such short notice - a number of issues are unclear at this point.

Should I get any further more concrete, definitive, better descriptive information - I'll write back here. NAEA  is ALREADY aware of it and researching it.

Edited by jklcpa
title
  • Like 4

From what I've been hearing here in CT (with many NY commuters requiring NRPY returns) is that we cannot e-file to NY without the license numbers.  A refusing client could paper file their NY return, from what I've heard so far.

(I have a couple in the orient with international licenses and NY rental property.  I guess I'll see how that works out.  The wife may not have a license at this time.)

Taking one more update class this Wednesday at a NY/CT-ATP dinner meeting, so I'll get the latest.

• Like 1