ATX Community

1099-MISC for rental income

Lucho

One of my client hired a compay to collect rent for one of his properties. My client received a 1099-MISC with the Payer's Federal Identification Number hand-written. I told him that I can not rely on a document like that to E-file the return.

I tried to contact the Secretary Of State to see if I was able to verified the validity of such Fdrl. I D # but the telephone sound busy forever.

I will appreciate If anyone guide me on this issue.

Thank again.

Lucho

I do tax returns for people that live in California. Your chances of getting a 1099 that will allow you to e-file are less than me winning the Powerball. Sometimes the correct answer is not convienient or easy.

Paper file. Problem solved.

I have paper filed several returns for people that live in CA over the last 8 years.

Is there more to the story than you are sharing??

I do tax returns for people that live in California. Your chances of getting a 1099 that will allow you to e-file are less than me winning the Powerball. Sometimes the correct answer is not convienient or easy.

Paper file. Problem solved.

I have paper filed several returns for people that live in CA over the last 8 years.

Is there more to the story than you are sharing??

Just wondering about the company my client did business with. He has been calling its office but nobody answers the phone. I am sure my client did not write that number himself because we opened the envelope here in my office.

I told him that this year he has to paper file.

Lucho

In the legacy e-file system, there was no record defined for a 1099-MISC -- they were NOT transmitted to the IRS. So there was actually no requirement to ever enter them into your software as individual documents.

Don't know if that is still true for MeF or if your state has a special requirement. [e.g. NY has a special form if the 1099-MISC shows NY withholding.]

In the legacy e-file system, there was no record defined for a 1099-MISC -- they were NOT transmitted to the IRS. So there was actually no requirement to ever enter them into your software as individual documents.

Don't know if that is still true for MeF or if your state has a special requirement. [e.g. NY has a special form if the 1099-MISC shows NY withholding.]

I don't know why you would even enter the 1099 since thats only part [usually] of a taxpayers income. As Don said, i only enter them if there is withholding. I realize the irs wants us doing their imput for them but even if a 1099 is lost in the mail, the income still should get reported.