ATX Community

Error code reject 510

B. Jani

One of my long time customer's return efiled. I received reject code MEFFDIND-510 which tells me that spouse SS number is used as primary number on other return. Does this have any thing to do with identity theft?

What are my options? and how do I solve this. Just paper file but what kind of guidence I should give to client or what steps I should recommend to the client.

Guidence please,

I would tell clients to check credit reports first - that will tell them if there is more going on here than someone making up a number (or mis-entering a number) in order to get a tax refund (real or fraudulent). Put "fraud alert" with credit agencies, too. That should protect them in case whoever used the number once decides to see how much else they can get away with before it's noticed.

If all is OK with credit, then contact IRS about mis-use of SSN. Have never had to deal, myself, but these days it's only a matter of time before one of my clients hits this problem.