ATX Community

Obligation To Non-Paying Client?

Crank

Through a strange set of circumstances, and my own stupidy and trusting I let a new client leave my office with "copies" of his returns but no payment or signed and dated 8879's. After we were finished but before signing the 8879s he claimed to have forgotten his checkbook stating he would drop a check off the next day. Well the next day has turned into a few weeks with different excuses and I am tired of speaking with him.

I dont think he realizes that his returns haven't been filed and at this point if he doesnt pay by the 17th I dont plan on filing them. I can't find anything that states that I am obligated to continue to call him for payment or file his returns. As a matter of fact I cant file his returns without signed & DATED 8879s.

So do I have any further obligation to contact him or......Should I let him hang himself?

I would tell him. The story that will get around about you is that you did this to him intentionally and your business will suffer because of it. Call and let him know that the deadline is Tuesday and until you have the signed forms and the payment for your work, you cannot process the returns to the IRS. Then, he can decide to file or not file (ie pay or not pay)

Tom

Lodi, CA

Thanks for the comments!

Well, the copies he has are watermarked with the work COPY and not signed by me but my information is in the paid preparer section. He could just copy the information to blank forms and paper file them but I doubt he's that intelligent.

I would lke to let him hang himself but the first two replies are what I will probably end up doing.

I can not wait for this filing season to be over. It has been horrendous with many being late, missing appointments and quite a few that have been plain rude. Many were very upset that the $400 "Making Work Pay" credit was removed and they had a lower refund or had to pay. I mentioned several times in my quarterly emails too, but they didnt remember it (or didnt know what it was). Its the first time in over twenty years that I said it may be my last. Strange as this year is, last year was one of the most enjoyable filing seasons I can remember.