ATX Community

Fiscal Year confusion

ILLMAS

I am a bit confused, I have a TP corporation that starts on 09/01/09 and ends on 08/31/10, I am trying to figure out, if I should do the return on 2009 or 2010 tax form? The IRS instructions don't help out much and have left me more confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

MAS

Not positive I'm thinking correctly either. You prepare the return that begins during 2009 on 2009 forms. If it's an S-corp, you let the K-1 recipients know that they will report on their 2010 returns, the year the corp fiscal year ends. The corporate return has a place at the top to put the beginning and ending dates when a fiscal year. (If you think of a currently ending fiscal year, the forms for next tax year are not out yet; so it's easier to realize you need the forms for the beginning of the fiscal year.)

• Like 1

>>corporation that starts on 09/01/09 and ends on 08/31/10....The IRS instructions don't help out much and have left me more confused.<<

The Instructions for Form 1120 say, "File the 2009 return for calendar year 2009 and fiscal years that begin in 2009 and end in 2010."