ATX Community

ATX FORUM 2012 NEW RELEASE

Jack from Ohio

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see a free-text "Sort" field in the return manager. Something that we can use whatever designation we wish as a way to categorize, sort, or arrange returns independent of the "Return Name" info. Even better, allow us the option to sort on both fields and to designate separate sort orders.

It would be nice to be able to permanently override the prompt to use their built-in pdf writer when we want to use our own, (such as pdf factory). It gets tiresome having to click off that prompt every time I want a pdf of something. Better yet, provide a pdf writer that allows us to preview the file and also allow us to set a password so we don't have to use somebody else's pdf writer.

I'd like to see a free-text "Sort" field in the return manager. Something that we can use whatever designation we wish as a way to categorize, sort, or arrange returns independent of the "Return Name" info. Even better, allow us the option to sort on both fields and to designate separate sort orders.

It would be nice to be able to permanently override the prompt to use their built-in pdf writer when we want to use our own, (such as pdf factory). It gets tiresome having to click off that prompt every time I want a pdf of something. Better yet, provide a pdf writer that allows us to preview the file and also allow us to set a password so we don't have to use somebody else's pdf writer.

Have you loaded and tried the 2012 software yet? It is supposed to be radically different in several areas. I am adding your request to my list.

...It would be nice to be able to permanently override the prompt to use their built-in pdf writer when we want to use our own, (such as pdf factory). It gets tiresome having to click off that prompt every time I want a pdf of something. Better yet, provide a pdf writer that allows us to preview the file and also allow us to set a password so we don't have to use somebody else's pdf writer.

The prompt will continue to pop up. The idea being put forth by the developers is that they make you choose to use a different pdf creator because the developers are concerned about other pdf creation programs not accurately converting.

I personally find that laughable. But there is no intention to make the pop-up go away.

Thanks for checking on it. I think they're blowing smoke, and I notice they didn't address the security issue. Maybe they think that half an excuse will address the question. Many corporate types are like that. They insult your intelligence and then deceive themselves into thinking they've responded just because they don't get more push-back.

Anyone with pressing questions, please send them to me in a message here. Seminar is Sat. morning, so I will compile all the questions. I am hoping to see a developer or a tech support person for some one-on-one dialogue.

Let me know.

Hi Jack,

I realize I'm a day late and a dollar short, however, if you have made contact with an individual at ATX, can you pass this on, please:

When entering information on a W-2 and the Social Security and Medicare wages are different than the wages in box 1, I'd like to see the program automatically compute the corrected Social Security and Medicare taxes. My very old AmTax dos program used to do it years ago.

Also, when selecting an employer from the saved listing, I'd love to see the State and State number automatically pop up as the Federal ID number does. This also was possible on the old AmTax dos program and is a big time saver. When the client is rolled over from a preceeding year and had the same employer, the state information appears if memory serves me correctly. However, no state info appears when selected from the saved listing.

How was the forum? Do you think it's something that you will attend each year? Edit: Just read your post about the forum. Will try to attend 12-18-12. Thanks!

Thanks so much!

Cathy

Cathy, I can't say about 2012 but I know that the 2011 program computed the correct wages for SS and medicare if you had the W-2 set to calculate automatically, once you input the adjusting item with its correct code. For example, if you put $10,000 in box 1 for wages, and then entered $2,000 in box 12 with code D, the program calculates the box 3 and 5 amounts as $12,000 and computes the amount that should have been withheld based on the adjusted numbers.

I agree about the state i d numbers though. And I wish that if you enter the employer identification number and it matches a payer in the payer manager that it would populate that information automatically.

• Like 1

I wasn't thinking about how they were sorted but how they are entered. Years ago, on TaxWise, when I entered the EIN on a W-2 (for example) if I had already used that EIN the rest of the information populated as soon as I entered the EIN. Likewise, once I entered a zip code, the city/state information populated. Saved a lot of typing and I did not have to look at a payer manager to see if the information was there.