ATX Community

Thank you Mrs. Kinsey

jainen

I won't accept any jokes about the kinder and gentler IRS today, and particularly commend Mrs. Kinsey #0710240. I missed the deadline for filing in Tax Court on my son's Notice of Deficiency. But when I explained that his middle initial was for my own name, she said that was sweet and cleared the account.

>>I just doubt any employee has the ability to just void a tax court deadline<<

Well, I may have left out a detail or two but it really did happen like that. I had tried to respond to the original CP2000 but they kept ignoring me until I corrected my CAF number. The NOD was dated July 1, so yesterday was the last day to file with Tax Court. But that doesn't mean the tax had actually been assessed yet. Since it never went to Examination, Tax Court would have simply kicked it back anyway.

So I faxed in a statement and the case was resolved. Two lessons. First, admit your error and be friendly and personable. (Obviously that's me through-and-through!) Second, Mrs. Kinsey noted that since you can only attach certain things to the 8453, a CP2000 is the only way to deal with some hot topics when you e-file. Paper with explanation would have avoided the whole problem. (Of course, they fine us if we don't e-file, and don't even tell us what their hot topics are that need more info.)