ATX Community

941 e-file

Ranger

Can someone clarify the steps needed to e-file form 941?

First of all it looks like form 8655 needs to be filed and I am listed as Reporting Agent.

Does the IRS send out a notice that authority has been granted?

Once authority is granted, it looks like a PIN is obtained by filing 940/941 EF.

Is that it?

Thanks.

You can also file as an ERO. All it takes is the signature of the client. If you have several clients you would need to get separate forms signed by each. The client needs to send the form to the IRS, get an ID number and give you the letter the IRS sends with the number.

I had a lot of trouble getting my request to e-file transmitted. The clock on my calendar was in the 1/1/12 format rather than the 01/01/2012 format. I changed it and it worked.

If you have a lot of 941s to file, then you need an EI number and send the form to become a reporting agent.

I used the following from the Drake Forum:

Atticus,

I think I figured it out! Spent the past 30 minutes on the phone with the IRS to waste time figuring out name controls, when they were just the first four letters of the company name.

Anyways, the jist is to go into the Client Info, EF Setup. Fill in the information on the right side, save, and then click "Create PIN". Then go to transmit these PINS to Drake, which then transmits it to the IRS.

Taxpayer will be notified with a 10 digit PIN. Notify them that you need this (though they probably will if it is something from the IRS). Get the PIN, plug it in there, and you should be able to e-file the 94x series forms.

Just created the PIN and transmitted. Even if it doesn't take place until January, not a big worry for me.