ATX Community

FORM 1099 OR w-2

TAXMAN

>>Wages paid to qualify for Unemployment = taxable wages on all levels.<<

Nonsense--the laws are different. Perhaps the most common example is employee contributions to a 401(k) plan, excluded from gross income but still covered by UIB and Social Security. Many fringe benefits are treated differently under the various laws. Payments to family members would not always earn your equal sign. All sorts of excluded military and government and foreign wages may qualify for UIB even if non-taxable.

And the equal sign is supposed to go both ways, but obviously there are lots of taxable wages that don't qualify for UIB. So I would say the idea is not logical at all.

So your contention is that this worker's payment, if he is deemed to be an employee, is exempt from taxation?

If I did the math right, the individual was paid $2,700. Using Employer's FICA/MED of just under 8% and an unemployment tax rate of 3-4%, the payroll taxes are about $270 - $300. So if the tax preparer "goes to bat" for client, the most the client is going to save is $240-$300 minus the fee to do the work. Anybody willing to take this on for less than $200, knowing that once the paperwork blizzard starts you could easily run up another $200 - $300 in fees, and once you start the process you can't stop it? I don't even see the logic of fighting this even if you add another 10% for workers comp cost. (Unless the tax preparer were the one who made the mistake of advising the client to do this in the first place, in which case you're probably going to have to do the work for free).