ATX Community

Special ID from IRS for Client to use on return due to Fraud

beckster

Good question, never ran into one of them but it is just a matter of time before one of my client gets hit. I know the IP Pin is a 6 digit # and if the taxpayer loses it, it is a nightmare to get another. I believe you have to paper file then.

• Like 1

I haven't tried it yet, but check the very bottom of the 1040 input form. The last line is "In the IRS sent you an identity Protection PIN Enter it here (See Inst):" Then there is a entry blank after it.

(Note: the first word of that line does say "In" not "If" -- their typo, not mine)

I had one last year. I searched all over for it and finally called TRX. That one was near the signature line # (obviously not the actual signature line!!). So I tried that in 2012. I was actually a bit surprised that it was in basically in the same place - what with all the other changes this year.

Thank you Kea.

I believe I will have my first client with a PIN this season due to someone else filing a return using their SS last year. Very simple MJF return took until November for them to get their refund and an explanation of why it was held up ...sheesh.

I'm not sure I'm up to the task of finding all the hidden jewels. I think I just got lucky on that one since it was where it was in 2011 TaxWorks. I spent HOURS (seemed like) looking for it in the 2011 program. Tech Support found it pretty quickly.

I haven't used the user manual yet. I've only just started doing my basic testing.

I tried to do a rough draft of my own return so that I could send in my quarterly estimate. No go. I ended up using the 2011 package. Hey, it's just an estimated payment. On the plus side, the other 2 estimates I did for clients (with returns less complicated than my own) gave me total tax amounts exactly equal to my spreadsheet. That made me feel pretty good about both the spreadsheet and the program. (No, my basic spreadsheet doesn't do all the stuff I need for my own return, either - I guess I need to work on that - or - simplify my own life and return.)

• 3 weeks later...

OK, even though I could find the spot for the identity theft PIN in TaxExact doesn't mean I can find it in TaxWise. Client mentioned earlier is coming over this afternoon.

I"m still working out some kinks in the TaxWise software. We'll see how this one goes.

Any TaxWise users find where to put this magic PIN?

Edit -- OK found it after searching forever and then posting!

Main Info page - next section below 8879 PIN info (taxpayer, spouse, I agree to let blah, blah, blah).

I'm sure I'll spend a lot of time this summer evaluating alternatives. Price will still be my primary goal.

My practice is small and I hope smaller next year. I'd like to retire when I can get health insurance without it being a business policy (next year!!). But I also know I have several clients who won't let me retire.

I'm now watching training videos and waiting for a tech to call about some of the strange error messages I'm getting in MainStreet TaxWise. I think I am finally at a point where I can prepare the returns for the 2 clients coming in this afternoon. Hopefully without looking too lost!

I'm sure I'll spend a lot of time this summer evaluating alternatives. Price will still be my primary goal.

My practice is small and I hope smaller next year. I'd like to retire when I can get health insurance without it being a business policy (next year!!). But I also know I have several clients who won't let me retire.

I'm now watching training videos and waiting for a tech to call about some of the strange error messages I'm getting in MainStreet TaxWise. I think I am finally at a point where I can prepare the returns for the 2 clients coming in this afternoon. Hopefully without looking too lost!

Kea,I am in the same situation..small practice and trying to learn Taxwise. The support people were very helpful and solved the mystery of those Error messages . Efiling has been a problem..still can not print an ACK.

I've gotten several strange error messages, too. Just got off the phone with a tech who helped me for over an hour. I haven't sent an e-file yet. So you are saying I could run into more issues? I was glad my appointments rescheduled for tomorrow.

I spent several hours last night trying to print anything. Found a differnt "update" section and that took care of it. So far, I've found at least 3 ways to update, and I think they are all for different things.

I did use this program with TRX for 2008, so I hope to not have too big a learning curve.