ATX Community

I GIVE UP

GeorgeM

You will sleep better now! :wacko:

I read someplace that TaxWorks is giving full refunds to its users who decided to bail because of their issues. I hope TRX will also do the same and save its reputation. I am sure both TRX and Taxworks will get new users in future years if they have a good reputation of doing the right thing.

Good luck George. Have a profitable season and be sane ;)

Crank is that price for just 80 returns? What happens if you do 90 do they charge a per return above 80?

i believe ATX and Taxwise offers conversion from Taxworks. That is what the rep told me last month. Must double check because conversion is the biggest challenge.

Crank is that price for just 80 returns? What happens if you do 90 do they charge a per return above 80?

I have to call them tomorrow, the web site says 100 returns can be efiled. You can do as many as u wantto, but over 100 e-files will cost per return e-filed.

THIS IS FROM THEIR WEBSITE:

$529

Do you specialize in Federal 1040s and state returns for clients in your area?

ATX 1040 is perfect for tax professionals who specialize in Federal 1040s and state returns for clients in up to 3 states. It includes all the comprehensive features you need to process 1040s quickly, easily and with confidence. Unlike other 1040 products, ATX 1040 isn't a stripped-down version of our software. It includes client managers, customizable client letters, client organizers and the other features you need to provide professional tax preparation services.

ATX 1040 is the perfect solution if you are just starting your tax practice or if you process a large number of individual returns.

Benefits:

• Unlimited preparation of all federal 1040 forms
  • Unlimited preparation of individual returns for up to 3 states of your choice
  • First 100 e-filed returns are included. ($5 per combined federal/state/extension for subsequent returns)
  • Simple to learn and easy-to-use
  • Best value in the industry
  • Easy to upgrade as your practice grows

Includes:

Tax Preparation Software Federal 1040 State Individual (3 states)

TRX is a fail and ripp-off. TRX just wants free troubleshooting and beta testing which many of you have provided.

I dont see how the 1040 software will be ready by 1/31/13. Even if it can do a simple return, can it be trusted. Not to mention the business returns that wont be ready. It takes other software vendors, years and years to develop good proven software and TRX expects to do it a few months.

It is time to take care of your sanity and customers give them reliable software. Purchase a pay-per-return system to fit your budget.

Have good tax season.

Looks like I may have to use my kids Christmas money account in Jan to buy me a software to earn a living to buy them gifts in Dec!

I will NEVER do this again. I have learned my lesson! Penny wise pound foolish!

• Like 1

I'm giving up as well. This is ridiculous!! I have downloaded demos of several other software programs to check them out, and every one of them has a learning curve, and I'm getting nervous about the time I will need to choose the right one. I don't have any time left!!

I did have a nice blessing yesterday, though. I got a call from a woman who hadn't done her taxes since 2007 and was calling because her wages were being garnished to pay her state taxes. So I met with her and did her 2008 and 2009 tax returns (and yes, she paid me for it), and next week I will do 2010 and 2011. So even though I can't do 2012 taxes with this bogus program, at least I can still make a few bucks doing prior year returns.

Right now I'm leaning toward Drake, but I'm also looking at TaxAct. It's way cheaper, and seems rather user friendly, but I don't know much about it and haven't seen any posts about it on this forum or other forums. Does anybody know anything about it?

Taxed, who could have known? I used TRX for the past two tax seasons and others used it before when they resold ATX, all for a good price. So I dont think anyone had a clue that they would push their own product, TaxExact, for 2012. The part that gets me is that I, and others, specifically asked if the 2012 product would be TaxWorks as in 2011 & 2010 and was told it would be and I would receive it. If they had told me it would be their inhouse product I probably would have put more thought and research into it.

But we all were told, and thought, we were goign to receive TaxWorks up until it shipped around mid December 2012. There was never any notice given that TaxWorks wasnt being sent this year. I dont know any one who asked for their inhouse product, TaxExact, for 2012 when they placed their order.

Doug says he has to check the voice mail to see what was said, but I dont believe you can record a conversation without disclosing it and getting the consent of the other party, per the wire tap laws

I think the real issue here is whether or not we were getting a WORKABLE program. I remember somebody telling me that what we pay TRX for is a membership, not a specific software. So, okay, if the program changes, I can deal with it, but IF I CAN'T FILE TAX RETURNS, THAT I CANNOT DEAL WITH, AND THAT IS WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE!!!

I think the real issue here is whether or not we were getting a WORKABLE program. I remember somebody telling me that what we pay TRX for is a membership, not a specific software. So, okay, if the program changes, I can deal with it, but IF I CAN'T FILE TAX RETURNS, THAT I CANNOT DEAL WITH, AND THAT IS WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE!!!

I have a postcard from trx software that states for only 299.99 plus shipping and handling you receive the following:

Free MeF Unlimited e-File

Free MeF Software

Free MeF States

This software is a faulty product and will be dealt with as such.

Beckster

It would be a complete and utter lie if I said I wasn't as nervous as others and genuinely concerned about the tax season. I have experienced some of the same issues with the TaxExact product. I did my first individual tax return this afternoon with the full understanding that I could not transmit the return and the State wasn't complete. Fortunately, this client was very understanding. I completed 2011 using TaxWorks without a hitch. I did complete 2012, minus the State, and didn't experience any issues with inputting information. As a professional, I ususally don't use the interview part of any software and just jump right to the forms. But, I did use the interview process this time and I must say I didn't experience any difficulty. With that said, I have checked the calculations and all check out. This is a basic 1040 with Sch A, no interest income,and the client has to bring additional information from missing 1099R forms. At this point all is well and yes I am nervous and double checking each and every calculation. While I am not experiencing major problems yet, dont' count me as a cheerleader for TRX. I am just going to wait a bit longer before making a final decision.

Here are my concerns that I would like to see addressed as soon as possible.

1. Cannot proforma any clients

2. My S-Corps, partnerships, and Trusts do not show under the proforma nor can I place a bullet in by the selected forms to proforma.

3. The custom letter thing is basically useless.

4. I haven't found any way to create a detailed statement to go with the return nor do I see any tab that shows me the detailed statements. Sometimes, I create these on my own using excel but prefer not to.

5. Don't see any way to arrange the print order. TaxWorks was able to create a client return that I could change the print order. It sure was nice to reach to the printer and it was all in the order that I wanted.

6. I don't see any slip covers, so I created a return cover page which doesn't print right at all.

I thank God at this time that most of my clients will begin to call during the middle and closer to the end of next week. Hopefully, some of this is fixed. However, some of my business clients have already submitted thier QuickBooks files, rental information; etc but I cannot work on them. Again I hope this gets fixed sooner than anything else.

I am will to be patient just a little longer to see if TRX comes through. If not, then this will be the last year for me. I too feel slighted with the fact that I renewed early last year and didn't get the product that I paid for. I hope Doug is listening to what is happening and comes up with something to keep the ship from sinking completely. Biting the bullet with some kind of offer that is solid now may very well ease the pain that will come later.

Doug, we all know you are trying hard to get this thing working correctly. I can only imagine the programming nightmare involved in creating a good or any workable tax preparation product. I support you in your efforts and I hope others can relax a little and hang in there. I am sure you know that once frustation sets in, any means of clear thinking is gone and no matter how hard one tries, nothing seems to work. It appears alot of folks are at that level and once January 30th hits and we don't have a reliable product, your customers will probably drop like flies. I know you know this but, we have an awful lot at stake here. So much that it is very difficult to risk any portion of it.

• Like 1

It would be a complete and utter lie if I said I wasn't as nervous as others and genuinely concerned about the tax season. I have experienced some of the same issues with the TaxExact product. I did my first individual tax return this afternoon with the full understanding that I could not transmit the return and the State wasn't complete. Fortunately, this client was very understanding. I completed 2011 using TaxWorks without a hitch. I did complete 2012, minus the State, and didn't experience any issues with inputting information. As a professional, I ususally don't use the interview part of any software and just jump right to the forms. But, I did use the interview process this time and I must say I didn't experience any difficulty. With that said, I have checked the calculations and all check out. This is a basic 1040 with Sch A, no interest income,and the client has to bring additional information from missing 1099R forms. At this point all is well and yes I am nervous and double checking each and every calculation. While I am not experiencing major problems yet, dont' count me as a cheerleader for TRX. I am just going to wait a bit longer before making a final decision.

Here are my concerns that I would like to see addressed as soon as possible.

1. Cannot proforma any clients

2. My S-Corps, partnerships, and Trusts do not show under the proforma nor can I place a bullet in by the selected forms to proforma.

3. The custom letter thing is basically useless.

4. I haven't found any way to create a detailed statement to go with the return nor do I see any tab that shows me the detailed statements. Sometimes, I create these on my own using excel but prefer not to.

5. Don't see any way to arrange the print order. TaxWorks was able to create a client return that I could change the print order. It sure was nice to reach to the printer and it was all in the order that I wanted.

6. I don't see any slip covers, so I created a return cover page which doesn't print right at all.

I thank God at this time that most of my clients will begin to call during the middle and closer to the end of next week. Hopefully, some of this is fixed. However, some of my business clients have already submitted thier QuickBooks files, rental information; etc but I cannot work on them. Again I hope this gets fixed sooner than anything else.

I am will to be patient just a little longer to see if TRX comes through. If not, then this will be the last year for me. I too feel slighted with the fact that I renewed early last year and didn't get the product that I paid for. I hope Doug is listening to what is happening and comes up with something to keep the ship from sinking completely. Biting the bullet with some kind of offer that is solid now may very well ease the pain that will come later.

Doug, we all know you are trying hard to get this thing working correctly. I can only imagine the programming nightmare involved in creating a good or any workable tax preparation product. I support you in your efforts and I hope others can relax a little and hang in there. I am sure you know that once frustation sets in, any means of clear thinking is gone and no matter how hard one tries, nothing seems to work. It appears alot of folks are at that level and once January 30th hits and we don't have a reliable product, your customers will probably drop like flies. I know you know this but, we have an awful lot at stake here. So much that it is very difficult to risk any portion of it.

Terry, very well said. I will have the product updated as promised and we are working 24 hours a day getting this done. As you have stated you did a return and it was correct, so basically what is the problem is features for the most part, along with the corporate module that will be out soon. I do not want anyone to go to another software company and honestly I think if they do it will be a huge mistake for the simple fact that the software company they may jump to next year will experience the same issue as TRX, TaxEact, TaxWorks, ATX we just all decided to go ahead and do it now. The other software companies besides the ones I mentioned may tell you they are not going to have to do a update like we all have done but that is not true. So basically what I am saying is we will be ready as promised but if anyone does not believe I will its your decison to go elsewhere and pay $1500 & up for software just to go through this again next year and they will. It is also very frustrating for me to read things that people have on this board and I ask them to email me with specifics and they totally ignore me but keep talking trash, this makes me feel like all these people do is talk. You know this is true because when I asked you to email me you did and I got someone right on what you needed.

Again Terry I appreciate you and I will make you a cheerleader for TRX before this is over.

Sincerely,

Doug Hughes

Terry, very well said. I will have the product updated as promised and we are working 24 hours a day getting this done. As you have stated you did a return and it was correct, so basically what is the problem is features for the most part, along with the corporate module that will be out soon. I do not want anyone to go to another software company and honestly I think if they do it will be a huge mistake for the simple fact that the software company they may jump to next year will experience the same issue as TRX, TaxEact, TaxWorks, ATX we just all decided to go ahead and do it now. The other software companies besides the ones I mentioned may tell you they are not going to have to do a update like we all have done but that is not true. So basically what I am saying is we will be ready as promised but if anyone does not believe I will its your decison to go elsewhere and pay $1500 & up for software just to go through this again next year and they will. It is also very frustrating for me to read things that people have on this board and I ask them to email me with specifics and they totally ignore me but keep talking trash, this makes me feel like all these people do is talk. You know this is true because when I asked you to email me you did and I got someone right on what you needed.

Again Terry I appreciate you and I will make you a cheerleader for TRX before this is over.

Sincerely,

Doug Hughes

If you do not believe what I am saying about next year and other software companies here is something one of your own community board members posted today:

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • bullet_black.png
  • 16 posts

Posted Today, 12:39 PM

Give TaxAct a try. It's inexpensive, looks solid. I can't use it because it doesn't have the local/city forms I need; otherwise, that's where I'd go.

After that, check out Intuit Online ($899 for 100 1040s); lacking some features, but I think this is the direction things will be going in the next few years. But be aware that it may be difficult to switch away from Intuit Online, since you won't have easy access to the return data.

The there's ProSeries (solid, but expensive) and TaxWise (which personally I'd avoid, since they're talking about major changes next year, and that may be a rough ride).

And then if you can afford $1495, Drake is an option, and the renewal price is generally $300-$400 cheaper.

Doug,

I have read a lot of the other posts including all of the posts on the general board regarding ATX. It does appear that the problems are, for the most part, industry wide which is why I am not ready to leave one product and jump into another with equal problems and learning curves at this late date. I think we all can get through this is if we have some patience. We are all intelligent and experienced enough to use what resources we have and make the best of it. None of us should, by any means, completely rely on any tax preparation software to process any kind of return without scrutinizing it.

True, but my issue is also with the lack of communication from TRX. Other companies are keeping their users posted daily on their website as to status and issues. The member website for TRX is a joke and I think Doug know this by now.

When you got the original CD did you get a flyer telling you what was in it and what did not work?

Doug,

I have read a lot of the other posts including all of the posts on the general board regarding ATX. It does appear that the problems are, for the most part, industry wide which is why I am not ready to leave one product and jump into another with equal problems and learning curves at this late date. I think we all can get through this is if we have some patience. We are all intelligent and experienced enough to use what resources we have and make the best of it. None of us should, by any means, completely rely on any tax preparation software to process any kind of return without scrutinizing it.

Agreed. Thank you we will get you and all taken care of.

Doug

Crank, I did not get any type of flyer with the original CD. I agree with some of the communication problems and yes, information from TRX regarding status and update changes would be outstanding to have. At the risk of taking some abuse here, I personally would like to see TRX focus on the problems with the software and not worry about creating a members board. I agree, it would be a great tool but right now, get the software working right.This is just my opinion.

• Like 1