ATX Community

NY e-file: PREPARER not valid for Paid Prep name

HV Ken

On the 1040, we have put "Preparer" in the Third Party Designee box. We finally submitted our first e-files of the season, and our NY returns are being rejected:
"PREPARER" is not a valid entry for paid preparer name or third party designee name. Paid Preparer Name or Preparer SSN / PTIN blank or incorrectly formatted.

Guess we will have to override this field on each NY return from now on....

'Preparer' hasn't been valid for federal for a few years now. I've had to change all of my rolled over returns; but still get a few where I'm doing back returns. ATX should automatically fill in your info when you check 'yes' on the federal. I still have to fill in my info for CA & any other states that have it.

'Preparer' hasn't been valid for federal for a few years now. I've had to change all of my rolled over returns; but still get a few where I'm doing back returns. ATX should automatically fill in your info when you check 'yes' on the federal. I still have to fill in my info for CA & any other states that have it.

Thanks for the info - guess it should be an e-file reject on the federal as well ??

Don't know; I haven't tried one. But per the other board, a lot of people are getting state rejects from that box; not filled in or wrong info. Silly for not filled in-error check does point to not filled in.

But some of the people on the other board appear to have the intelligence of a turnip.