ATX Community

Printing Problems

the boss

Boss, I have had printing issues with Taxworks and Taxwise with non HP printers that run "fake" PCL language. But this problem is solvable.

1) In Taxwise there is a menu option called Classic printing, try that.

2) If you can create a pdf, do that and then print that PDF.

3) Go to Utility and Print sets and see if your printer is selected correctly.

I have had no issues with a Brother HL-5250DN laser printer.

I highly recommed this printer (or the newer model). Its a work horse for a small office and toner carts are reasonable with a good life. You can also use aftermarket toner from ebay and amazon for as low as $20. I also have a brother all-in-one inkjet for color print, copy scan & fax. The color injet carts dont last as long so they arent a good choice for high volume printing.

I am very pleased that I went with Brother printers about 5 years ago.

TaxWise seems to like some printers better than others. I haven't found the pattern yet. I had issues when I used it in 2008, too. That year it only worked with on HP 4500 that I don't have anymore. This year, I have the best luck with the "print to pdf" feature.

I have had no issues with a Brother HL-5250DN laser printer.

I highly recommed this printer (or the newer model). Its a work horse for a small office and toner carts are reasonable with a good life. You can also use aftermarket toner from ebay and amazon for as low as $20. I also have a brother all-in-one inkjet for color print, copy scan & fax. The color injet carts dont last as long so they arent a good choice for high volume printing.

I am very pleased that I went with Brother printers about 5 years ago.

Crank, I agree 100%. I have a Brother HL5250DN printer also. I never thought of getting the toner from eBay or Amazon. Thanks!

I am finding more and more of my "smarter" clients opting for a PDF copy of their tax return instead of hard copy. I offer a CD or if they bring me their flash drive I will load their copy in it. I just wish Taxwise would allow password protection of PDF files that way I could e-mail them. Right now if I have to e-mail I have to zip them with password protection. One extra step.