ATX Community

Recommendations on Alternatives to ATX?

Chowdahead

I have been using ATX since 2004 and they have had their issues, usually related to availability of my lil' state's forms in a timely and accurate fashion, but I am pretty tech proficient and have managed to deal with them.

I've been through various debacles, including the out-sourcing tech support to India debacle, and a few major issues state returns a year ago causing people to not receive their state refunds.

But this year I have decided that I need to at the very least look elsewhere. Sticking with ATX may cause my business to collapse, especially with the beta product quality of this year's software and over this debacle with the 8867.

Which other program offers similar functionality to ATX and ease of use for someone who isn't a CPA? I've looked into Drake, but I hear it is a bit difficult to use. TaxWise is a CCH program as well, correct? I want to steer clear of that.

What are other recommendations? I am hoping to convince one of them to let me set up for free or at reduced cost for the remainder of the season so I can at process a few dozen returns and get acclimated to it for next year.

If price is not your main concern, I love ProSystem fx. Also, the Ultra Tax salesman has been calling with great frequency, offering free NY, for instance. TaxWorks is owned by HRB and has it's own issues this year; although, if the rumors are true that HRB will use TaxWorks for its own preparation starting next tax season, then I imagine it will be much better. TaxWise is CCH, but haven't heard complaints. People love Drake, but I found it unwieldy for more complex returns; you do get everything in one bundle. Intuit has Lacerte, but I'd go with ProSystem fx or Ultra Tax in that price range. Intuit also has Proseries in more of a mid price range. I have colleagues that use it and love it. I heard that they don't have a conversion program that you can use yourself; you have to wait for them to convert your returns to ProSeries -- not good during tax season but probably fine for next year. Many web sites have a demo so you can see what feels comfortable for the way you work.