ATX Community

Rejcted when dependent don't = 8812

Peggy Cobb

I could sure use some help/suggestions. The return for a long-time client rejected tonight and the error is that the number of dependents in 6c does equal number claimed on 8812. Problem is that line 6c shows 2 dependents and 8812 shows 2 dependents. I have double checked with client about Social Security Numbers and spelling of the names. Everything matches and they have not been rejected in prior years.

Any suggestions?

If the dependents have social security numbers, not ITINs, don't X the boxes. It's on the form.

The same thing happened to me, and ATX software automatically checked the ITIN boxes (imagine ATX software having something wrong with it!). It took us the longest time to figure out that all we had to do was uncheck the box. So make sure that if you have that form in the return to go review and see if the program has done anything on it's own. We have had many problems with boxes checking, unchecking and/or not staying checked all through the program.

• Like 1