ATX Community

Network Runtime 4.0 Error

cscottpalmer

I have a Win7 server/ workstation and two XP workstations. Every time I try and open the program on the XP stations I can open a return but they crash and give the Network Runtime 4.0 Error as above.

I have done EVERYTHING mentioned on these forums but buying new computers. Delete Assets File, updates, reinstall (I reinstall net setup EVERY MORNING) blah blah blah. I notice that running ATX2012 Loader takes a full gigabyte of memory. My XP workstations have 2 gigs free so they should be OK BUT???

As a note of nostalgia, I opened ATX 2011 and it only took 80MB to run. Come on, a 1200 times increase in memory?

Anyway, can someone point me in the right direction? Is the runtime error due to lack of memory? Is XP the culprit? Do I need to partition the hard drives with Windows 7? Do I have to close every other program but ATX on the workstations?

I have used ATX since 1998 or whenever they started (as MAx Tax or whatever). I have programming experience. This is really tough.

I have a Win7 server/ workstation and two XP workstations. Every time I try and open the program on the XP stations I can open a return but they crash and give the Network Runtime 4.0 Error as above.

I have done EVERYTHING mentioned on these forums but buying new computers. Delete Assets File, updates, reinstall (I reinstall net setup EVERY MORNING) blah blah blah. I notice that running ATX2012 Loader takes a full gigabyte of memory. My XP workstations have 2 gigs free so they should be OK BUT???

As a note of nostalgia, I opened ATX 2011 and it only took 80MB to run. Come on, a 1200 times increase in memory?

Anyway, can someone point me in the right direction? Is the runtime error due to lack of memory? Is XP the culprit? Do I need to partition the hard drives with Windows 7? Do I have to close every other program but ATX on the workstations?

I have used ATX since 1998 or whenever they started (as MAx Tax or whatever). I have programming experience. This is really tough.

XP is the culprit. We have 10 workstations. Microsoft Small Business Essentials 2011 on the server. 2 workstations had WIN7PRO, all others XPPRO. All workstations less than 4 years old and RAM maxed out on all XP machines.

TONS of problems right off the bat. When we purchased the workstation machines, we had them downgraded to XP. I immediately started installing WIN7PRO on the workstations. Currently 7 workstations with WIN7 and only 3 remaining with XP. All preparers are on WIN7 now and it has drastically reduced all problems.

When we installed 12.8 update, it was a disaster. We lost information in returns and have about 25 we cannot access due to FAM folder errors.

Spend the money, get WIN7PRO 64bit OS, 8GB or more RAM and the fastest dual or quad core processor available. We have ordered 4 new systems with SSD.

XP is your culprit.

No, sorry, ATX 2012 is the culprit. It is a poorly designed, thrown-together piece of crap that wouldn't run on a Cray efficiently. Look at any previous release of ATX, even the "Payroll Compliance Software 2012" which uses the old ATX database or look at any other rival product. You cannot justify that sort of performance increase and yet have NOTHING better to show for it. Total lack of professional due care.

I agree XP by itself is not the culprit. Admittedly, I am running standalone, but my old XP SP3 machine with only 2 Gig of RAM

is opening the program, loading returns and printing returns only slightly slower than last year. There is a slight but noticable delay

moving between entry fields. The only thing that is significantly slower is the loading of forms in the print manager, takes about 3 times as long as last year.

I read your post. Did he fix this on the server or the workstation? Was it the payers manager file that was corupt? Did you lose any clients in the return manager? When you say rollover of companies what is this you are referring to? Just trying to solve a problem with my xp machines. Sorry for being somewhat confused.

TAXMAN,

Please bear in mind that I am not an accountant... I am a Network Administrator (read IT Geek). The ATX Support person made the changes on the server, as ALL of our data files were stored there (on a mapped network drive). He made no changes on the workstations, nor ever accessed one. He fixed the "corrupt data" on the server, and all was well again with the program.

As per the questions you have regarding the payers manager files being the ones that were corrupt, I honestly do not know. It seems that ATX keeps their data layout a great mystery purposely. I do know that when ATX 2012 was opened (in Return Manager by default) and an individual return was opened and modified, as soon as that return was Saved -- bang, error and shut-down of ATX. Having said that, it is my further understanding that clients WERE lost from the current-year Return Manager database. However, these clients were able to be "Rolled-over" or "Rolled-up" using the ATX built-in tool from a previous year and then their data did correctly re-populate the Return Manager.

Sorry if that isn't as descriptive as you had hoped for. As a Network Admin I am tasked with making the hardware and software all function and "play nicely" together... I honestly wouldn't have even been in the actual ATX 2012 program at all myself if it were not for these errors. I installed, configured, opened to test, and thought all was well... until I was told otherwise.

It seems to me as an IT professional the crux of the issue is really two-fold:

1.) ATX 2012 is poorly programmed (just by the sheer volume of errors and frustrations being reported, and the way the program handles -- or more accurately does NOT handle -- outlyer data well)

2.) CCH doesn't make their data locations, storage routines, or definitions available to "outsiders" -- therefore people like me that could otherwise troubleshoot technical problems (data corruption is a technical issue and therefore MY issue, not a CPA's -- I make the forms work, he fills them out) are prohibited from doing-so for fear of making changes and losing data or further increasing the problem

All I can say for sure is that I have dealt with literally thousands of different programs, on different Operating Systems, different network infrastructures, etc... for different purposes, throughout my entire professional career and I have NEVER encountered one with a higher combination of unknowns (in data storage/usage) and technical problems (generic crashes, poor outlyer handling, etc) than ATX 2012.

I truly wish I could be of more help... as I can completely sympathize and understand how frustrating this can be. Becuase ATX Support didn't make their magical changes "live" on our server, where I could see them work, I am truly unable to accurately answer EXACTLY what was done. I know only what I have stated via a combination of what I was told by ATX and our internal people, network access and file-level audits of what ATX uploaded/downloaded and did modify on our end, and file transfer logs kept on our server.

I would be happy to and thrilled to help more if I could, alas I cannot.