ATX Community

Nominee Sch D tranactions

grandmabee

How do I nominee Sch D tranactions for a stock sale. account is in JT TEN and father is listed first with his SS number and Son is listed second. it's the son's money in acct. Its walmart stock and son paid father who worked at walmart for the stock each yr. now the son sold it but 1099 in fathers SS number.

Do I just list the normal way on line one then on line two list as nominee and back out?

>>son paid father who worked at walmart for the stock each yr.<<

Right--and that is documented because the father reported that sale of stock on Schedule D each year? Oh, but he forgot to tell the account manager that title had changed? Sorry, I'm not in the mood for tax evasion nonsense. Dad sold employee stock and let his kid keep the money as a gift.

>>the stock is listed as Jt ten with the son. so I think from the very start they both were on it.<<

But it was from an employer stock benefit, right? So at some point it must have belonged solely to the employee.

I would guess the adult child was added to the account for the common purpose of estate planning, but did not represent an actual change in ownership (until now). I would further guess that claiming payments now (instead of prior year tax returns) is simply an effort to jack up the basis on old employee stock.