ATX Community

Intuit in trouble in Minnesota

Lee B

The Minnesota Dept of Revenue issued a news release today that said that the returns they had been

receiving prepared with Intuit Tax Software Programs (listed all programs) contaned numerous and multiple errors. They said that if Intuit doesn't fix these problems quickly, that they would have no choice but to stop processing all tax returns prepared with Intuit programs. Unbelievable!

You can't make this stuff up!

Important Notice for Taxpayers Using Intuit Products (TurboTax, Lacerte, Intuit online, ProSeries)

The Minnesota Department of Revenue advises you not to use Intuit (TurboTax, Lacerte, Intuit online, ProSeries) to file your Minnesota taxes electronically or on paper. Intuit has discovered multiple issues with their products. The issues could jeopardize the accuracy of your return or delay your refund.

What should I do?

IF YOU… ​ THEN​

Have NOT prepared or filed your return ​

File using a different software product. See a list of approve vendors below.

Prepared your return using Intuit but did not file​

Wait to file until Intuit communicates the problems are corrected.​

Have filed your return using Intuit​

Call Intuit at 1-866-888-4609.

The Department of Revenue is not affiliated with Intuit and we find these errors unacceptable. We expect Intuit to correct these problems immediately. If they fail to do so, the department will stop processing returns filed using Intuit.

We will continue to monitor the situation closely.

Concerned taxpayers may contact Intuit at 1-866-888-4609.

>>I doubted you<<

I'm not convinced yet. It seems like a very odd thing for a press officer to threaten a major corporation without reference to her own executives. The announcement says that Intuit itself identified the errors, but I use an Intuit product and the company has not mentioned MN in its daily alerts and updates.

The announcement does not actually say the taxing agency has confirmed any specific problem. The letter lacks the footer that other news releases have, so it might be hacked.

This is on the intuit community forum, appearing to be answered by a host. Maybe that was hacked also?

http://community.intuit.com/posts/minnesota-in-having-a-conference-call-at-5-pm-today-regarding-intuit-with-lacerte-proseries-and-turbo-tax-they-are-requesting-we-dont-file-anymore-minnesota-state-returns-because-of-multiple-errors-what-is-going-on

Googling "Intuit & Minnesota" brings up all kinds of news agency links to articles. Those might be in error too, I suppose. It wouldn't be the first time news publications and websites reported something in error.

FYI, I copied the news release from the Minnesota Department of Revenue Website, which might have been hacked by a mad Ukrainian. It was very easy to find a long list of posts on both the Intuit Community and the ProSeries Community.

Keep your head down, the black helicopters are flying low tonight.

Copied form the Intuit Community:

I've tried 3 times to copy/paste what MN Revenue sent me- Intuit doesn't like copy/paste. So I'll try again in my own words.

Problems with State Election Campaign Fund selections, Educational subtraction (Form M1M), Property Refund calculation (Form M1PR), Property Tax direct deposit election (Form M1PR), Child and Dependent Care Credit (Form M1CD), Marriage Credit (Form M1MA), S-Corp Form M8X, Corporate Form (M4A), Fiduciary Schedule KF, and Fiduciary Schedule carryforward.

Customer Impact per MN Revenue- Intuit is working with MN Revenue to resolve issues.

Suggestion from a Minnesota Tax Preparer to Intuit- get these programming errors fixed, hire competent programmers, work overtime as we do, and be prepared to lose a lot of business as we search for other software over the summer

>>I doubted you<<

I'm not convinced yet. It seems like a very odd thing for a press officer to threaten a major corporation without reference to her own executives. The announcement says that Intuit itself identified the errors, but I use an Intuit product and the company has not mentioned MN in its daily alerts and updates.

The announcement does not actually say the taxing agency has confirmed any specific problem. The letter lacks the footer that other news releases have, so it might be hacked.

Go to the MN department of revenue website for yourself and look under the second tab from the right "Newsroom".

Tom

Hollister, CA