ATX Community

direct debit hell

joanmcq

Okay, if I screwed up, at least its my own return. BUT; was on the phone with the IRS and they can't find my extension. Called my bank yesterday and there wasn't even an attempt at a debit, but said to debit, I need to use a different number than for a direct deposit; or that it is different for checking than for savings. I've never had a problem with the 'account number' on a direct deposit from the IRS; I just mark the checking vs savings box. All of the accounts are my SSN with different extensions.

Now the IRS says to call back later because part of their system is down. AAAARRRGGGGGHHH!!!!

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of stuff. Maybe I should just finish up the damn return and file it ASAP.

Okay, if I screwed up, at least its my own return. BUT; was on the phone with the IRS and they can't find my extension. Called my bank yesterday and there wasn't even an attempt at a debit, but said to debit, I need to use a different number than for a direct deposit; or that it is different for checking than for savings. I've never had a problem with the 'account number' on a direct deposit from the IRS; I just mark the checking vs savings box. All of the accounts are my SSN with different extensions.

Now the IRS says to call back later because part of their system is down. AAAARRRGGGGGHHH!!!!

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of stuff. Maybe I should just finish up the damn return and file it ASAP.

Your experience is the reason I simply don't recommend Direct Debit for clients. Maybe, since it was e-filed you could call the Practitioner Hotline at 1 866 860-4259 to verify receipt of the extension, at least. They have been very helpful on account related issues whenever I have called them.

Gregster

First of all, it's nice that your bank is open and accepts calls on Sunday. I have heard on another forum that the IRS is having some problems locating extensions, so yours may not be the only one missing.

As for the bank numbers, I think perhaps the bank was telling you that while their "routing" number may be the same at each branch, your "savings" account number will be different from your "checking" account number.

On the 1040EF you need to show the routing number AND the account number as well as check the box as to the type of account it is. If that's what you did, then the problem is that they seem to have lost your extension with the direct debit information on it.

If you efiled it, did you get an acknowledgment? If so that's your proof of having timely filed and your proof to eliminate any penalties and interest. You could create another 4868 and paper file it along with proof of the first and timely filed 4868 and you should probably attach a check as well.

Good luck!

Well, the efile helpline finally located the extension, so that is fine, but my bank rejected the payment and they are still researching it. I just hit 'use last year's info'; they didn't seem to have a problem putting in the direct deposit. So I just said to hell with it and tried to finish my return to just file the damn thing. See questions above......

Well, the efile helpline finally located the extension, so that is fine, but my bank rejected the payment and they are still researching it. I just hit 'use last year's info'; they didn't seem to have a problem putting in the direct deposit. So I just said to hell with it and tried to finish my return to just file the damn thing. See questions above......

That is just a perfect example of why I discourage clients using DD to pay their taxes. It seems easy, but if there is a problem, the IRS always treats it as YOUR FAULT. So mail them a check, then file the return as you normally would, Joan. That part they can handle OK.

KC

Yeah, the check already went out. But I'll try to abate any penalties I get anyways....I did get a report from the bank. I left off the zero extension from my SSN which it seems may delay a deposit, but somehow they are able to locate the account. For a debit, they just reject. Well, next year if I owe, I'll just mail a check from the start.

Even mailing a check is not foolproof. I mailed my check with my return a few years ago, and about a month later got a letter telling me that I owed the taxes. I checked to see if the check had cleared, it had not, so I called and told the agent that the check was with the return when mailed. Somehow or other, they managed to find the check but not until I called and told them to look for it. That was probably my fault too. <_<

Even mailing a check is not foolproof. I mailed my check with my return a few years ago, and about a month later got a letter telling me that I owed the taxes. I checked to see if the check had cleared, it had not, so I called and told the agent that the check was with the return when mailed. Somehow or other, they managed to find the check but not until I called and told them to look for it. That was probably my fault too. <_<

Of course, it was your fault. You people simply will not accept responsibility - what gives with that? :lol::lol::lol: :lol:

Since 2006, I used almost 75% of my client for direct debit/deposit. I always print 9325 and give it to client and box 5 confirmes that electronic fund withdrawal payment was accepted. It sometimes happens that withdrawal is done later then the date requested on return. But so far I have or my clients have no complaint.

May be I am lucky so far.

B Jani