ATX Community

RRB-1099-R

jasdlm

Would someone please confirm that the entire amount (less employee contributions amortized over life expectancy) reported on form RRB-1099-R goes on Line 16b?

I'm really confused about the RR Retirement. Everything I read indicates there is Tier I and Tier II. I thought Tier I was akin to SS. Why isn't part of the benefit sent through on a RRB-1099 instead of an RRB-1099-R? Seems like this guy doesn't get the 15% break on part of the income (85% taxable) that he would get if he had an RRB-1099.

Sorry. First Railroad Retirement Client.

Thanks for any clarification.

Keep a copy of the client's section of the RRB-SSA for your files. There is a nice workbook that RRB puts together for taxpayers (and tax preparers) use.

Blue section - Box 5 - Social security benefits -

Green section - Box 7 - Gross and taxable amount of pension; equates to Boxes 1 and 2 of 1099-R

BUT, look at the Green section - boxes 4 is what I equate to box 1 of 1099-R; I use the simplified method to calculate the taxable portion. The 1099-RRB gives you the employee's contributions in box 3 of the green portion.

Hope this helps, Lynn