ATX Community

And Who Have You Fired Today?

MsTabbyKats

It's not even 9 AM...and I fired two "wanna be" clients.

1. Family lives in my building. Wife brought me the papers about 3-4 years ago. Not happy. Takes papers back.

Fast forward-2013: Husband brings me papers. Needs to give me more info, but I tell him they will be owing "something".

Get an e-mail this morning....this cannot be. They get refunds!

My response....pay me in advance if you want me to continue or take your papers back

PS...just got an e-mail....he wants them back!

2. Man lives in TX. This is a non-resident alien issue; W-7 issue; which has literally been sitting on my desk since Jan. Despite several reminders...sitting. And then a week ago he said "he was using someone local". Yesterday he decides he wants me because "local people have a lot of letters after their names but don't understand his issue" but wants me to lower my price. Told him...he should "go local".

Oh...it's that time of year :P

• Like 2

First client of the day SAID he was gonna leave his crap in my mailbox last night, cause he "just found out" he had to leave for Scotland Monday morning. I still haven't seen him. I hate mornings. I hate working on Saturday. Other than that, everything is entirely great.

I just got a text from somebody, no idea who: "The cops are after you for working so much. Look outside."

Sure enough, they have somebody pulled over in my parking lot. I am smiling. I hope they have donuts.

• Like 6

Guest Taxed

It's not even 9 AM...and I fired two "wanna be" clients.

1. Family lives in my building. Wife brought me the papers about 3-4 years ago. Not happy. Takes papers back.

Fast forward-2013: Husband brings me papers. Needs to give me more info, but I tell him they will be owing "something".

Get an e-mail this morning....this cannot be. They get refunds!

My response....pay me in advance if you want me to continue or take your papers back

PS...just got an e-mail....he wants them back!

Every tax season I get 1 or 2 of these "freeloaders" that are a friend or relative of an existing client who needs HELP! The first question, will they receive a refund because that is what they usually get. I say show me all your papers. Do a quick calc (standard deduction) and if there is a balance due I tell them that they will have to pay me in advance to proceed futher because more detailed calculations must be done and the results may not change drastically.

At this point those who are just shopping around will say give me back my papers and leave. Those who really want your help will pay you and you hopefully have a client.

So by spending 20 minutes I can weed out the freeloaders most of the time and I can tell the referring client that I tried to help their friend or relative the best I could but they did not want to pay! One year i had my client offer me $50 for the time spent because his brother was a real "jerk" started swearing that I did not know what I was doing etc.. Supposedly his last tax preparer always got him a big refund. So I say why are you not going there again if he can do magic. Well he gave up his business!!!! (Yeah right)

Guest Taxed

In my neck of the woods we have a whole bunch of so called "Self Prepared Taxpreparers" using Turbo Tax and giving out refunds for the asking! Two years back I picked up a new client who was a renter but managed to get residential energy credits for $1500. Needless to say the fellow was not happy when I told him the bad news and that year his refund was I think like $250. I thought I would never see him again since he walked out of my office quite disappointed. The next year i get a call from him so i was surprised. He has been a client since then.

A lot of people do not understand taxes at all. So they just accept what their tax preparer gives them. And of course they like big refunds.. Why not? But, they do not want to cheat, and when they learn that they have been filing incorrect returns, they are sad to lose the big refund,, but accepting of the reality. Some of them go back to get corrections filed, some just go forward, but most honest people want to file an honest return.

• Like 1