ATX Community

does anyone have a dis-engagement letter

schirallicpa

Guest Taxed

Did you have an engagement letter to begin with?? If not why can't you verbally fire them. Just tell them you will no longer prepare their tax return because of your workload and give them the phone # of nearest JH or HRB.

Last year I had to fire a fellow who would book an appointment and then not show up and when called said he forgot or had the wrong date on his calender. I gave him 2 chances and after that gave him HRB phone #.

No form letter, but just a bit of free advice. Make it as brief and non-specific as possible, Just your need to reduce your workload, or concentrate on a different type of business clients, or something like that. Be nice, no matter how irritating the client might be, do NOT mention any thing negative about him or her. That can not help, and could hurt. Always assume that if you handle it politely and professionally, leaving personality out of it, you hold the high ground if he is not happy. And you'd be surprised, but sometimes those people you fire [nicely] still speak well of you, or even refer clients to you, that fill that category you told him you are focusing on. Never make an enemy when you do not need to. Free advice, worth at least as much as it cost you.

There are a variety of reasons for why I disengage.

1. When someone's income is too high ($500,000+) they may have questions that I can't answer and don't want to spend time researching....so I tell them that because of their tax situation they would be better off dealing with (referral to CPA)

2. Situation too risky for me....issues dealing with real estate when they cannot take the loss but think they can; high Schedule C income...even higher expenses. I tell them that I cannot do the return and vaguely refer them to a CPA (knowing that my referral will probably reject them too)

3. "Regular people" who I know will be unhappy with the results and will end up "walking anyway".....I politely tell them I will understand if they want their papers back, but I have to follow the rules and the rules will not result with their expectations. (Example...private duty nurse with 1099-Misc and sees the commercials for big refunds...and things she's getting one too!)

4.PITA people....this is the tricky one....when people have easy returns...but make it complex because of their personality (too many questions...challenging every entry etc). I generally say they would be better serviced by HRB...or some place where you can sit and watch the preparer input the data and ask questions as the person prepares the return. (I work out of my home....no one sits and watches me....I banned that this year.)

This year I have done more rejecting than ever before....and this year I have had the least stress ever.