ATX Community

Refund Due.. Does the Deadline Matter?

Chowdahead

I have maybe half a dozen returns that are getting refunds and I don't have them high on my priority list because I have another dozen that will have tax due.

Does the April 15 deadline really matter to a taxpayer who is getting a refund? Acording to the IRS website, returns with a refund due must be filed within 3 years of the tax year filing date. And failure-to-file penalties are assesed on tax due returns.

So barring an unforseen audit or unmet chalenge to one of the refundable credits, these taxpayers should see no ill effect by filing a few days after the 15th, correct?

Stress is building.... :spaz:

Yes, it matters. For the reasons stated above and others as well. No matter whose fault it may be if your initial estimate surprisingly turns into a balance due, the client will expect you to cough up the totally unnecessary FTF penalties.

And the client will be correct.

my opinion...do the ones that you know have a balance due..that's what i'm doing

let's say you think someone is getting a refund, you don't do the return until ater the 15th, and they owe money

the penalty and interest is deminimis