ATX Community

Need NY practitioner?

Catherine

A colleague who does not do taxes had a question on NY taxes while we were discussing other issues. His brother has a pool company and isn't good at paperwork. He has received letters from NY about past-due payments and doesn't know how to respond. The brother has an accountant who doesn't seem to know how to handle a paperwork-impaired client.

Anyone out there in NY want a lead on a "walking annuity" type of client?

If interested, send a private message and I'll pass your contact info along.

Catherine

Guest Taxed

Hate to tell you but a lot of these so called "pool" and "hot tub" sales companies who spring up each summer have serious violations with 941 and 940 forms. I had 2 of these companies over the years and in both cases they hire so called installers but misclassify them or do not send the witholdings on time. They have a very compressed earnings season and let go most of the staff in the fall and that is when most of the "missing paperwork" happens. No W-4 or I-9 etc. On one of them I recommended offer in compromise and the other paid a fine.

Before you accept the engagement, research the issue involved.

I am puzzled that the accountant of the taxpayer does not know how to handle. That should be a clue!

Yes, I do know that many pool companies have "issues" with mis-classifying workers etc. My only info is from the brother; he says problem is with NY not feds but who knows? I've seen no paperwork on it.

The brother (my colleague) is very honest. He says his brother is a good guy but "paperwork impaired." I'm not interested in a NY client but thought someone here might be IF it goes that far.

Thanks.

Guest Taxed

If it is not the Feds then it may possibly be state sales tax issue or state income, employment tax. I am really surprised how many small employers treat employee witholdings as their own money. They don't segregate from their operating bank account and are late in sending the payment out habitually.

Years back IRS used to have a CD free for small business owners on paperwork requirements, tax witholding etc. I have not seen that lately, unless you have to buy it. I would recommend this business owner get a copy for his own sake!

The Feds are not too kind once they bust you for 941 violations.

Guest Taxed

Not just NY. Most states need tax revenue desparately. MA, CT etc. are all sending notices to collect additional revenue. Sales and Use tax is one of their focus now.

It would be helpful to find out where this potential client is - we need to find out if he is Just working in NY, or, is this pool guy working on the border area of NY/Mass/CT or NY/NJ/PA!

Side note: Catherine, didnt have your email (how do you email or private message on here?) so I left you a message yesterday at your office.

• Like 1

Side note: Catherine, didnt have your email (how do you email or private message on here?) so I left you a message yesterday at your office.

To send a PM [private message] just click in the person's avatar [picture] and it will take you to their page. Middle choice there is "Send me a private message".

To send a PM [private message] just click in the person's avatar [picture] and it will take you to their page. Middle choice there is "Send me a private message".

Thank you for pointing that out. I see it now.

I may not have signed in when I was looking at ther profile, because there were no messaging buttons at the time.

Once I sign in, they appear. Silly me.