ATX Community

ATX at 5/1 NYC Accounting Technology Show

HV Ken

Jack, I don't know enough of the technicalities of software to know this, but you seem to, so here's the main question -

If the base (Raven) that the program it is written on is not suitable for the program in general, is any amount of good developing, restructuring, or patching really going to solve the problems with this program? In another thread you said that they chose a little boy program (Raven) to do a man's work and should have used something like Oracle or SQL.

If the developers are savvy enough, the hurdles can be overcome. Raven has open source roots, so it can be manipulated and adapted if the right programmers work on it. Another reason they chose it is that being open source, the root programming is free. Unlike SQL or Oracle that charge usage fees for their program. I wish I had a tardis to go back and listen in on the discussion about which engine to use. There may still be hope...

• Like 3

Guest Taxed

I seem to recall another thread on this issue and the poster had experience with Raven DB and open source software. According to that post the issue was not primarily the Raven DB BUT the way they implemented the Raven DB in a network environment by embedding it within the ATX code. Supposedly Raven folks had warned ATX that they were risking data corrupution!

Perhaps that explains why the bulk of the issues impact mainly networked users??

I will ask my internal contacts about how people can get on their Beta list.

It is not my place to talk about what they did or did not do in the past. They do admit to making mistakes. My perspective is that they failed miserably - they had a good plan but terrible execution. How they choose to communicate is their call.

I read those same posts about the Raven database. The poster made some bold statements about what ATX did or didn't do from the outside looking in. I am not convinced we contain enough information to form those strong conclusions about the database and how it was implemented and if that database choice is doomed for failure.

I do believe they have a plan in place to fix the software. My opinion is that ATX 2013 will be make or break as they cannot survive another year like ATX 2012. I am unwilling to remain an ATX client on a mere "trust me". I am hoping they can demonstrate real results in the time left of this year's filing season through October. I will also be evaluating at least ProSeries as I cannot have another experience like 2012.

I also have another perspective on this year. For almost 25 years, I worked as a software developer at IBM. As the industry was moving from mainframe to workstations (RS/6000 servers on linux), we had to rewrite our software for that transition. Our initial release went much like ATX this year. But we did improve the software and it was very good. Software infrastructure transition is very very difficult and schedules are often overly aggressive leading to a disasterous first release. There is a part of me that wants to believe this ATX experience will match my experience when I was on the other side in my previous life.

• Like 3

Guest Taxed

If that is indeed true why does CCH not tell us exactly what went wrong and why and what they are doing to fix it for 2013. Seems they would earn back the loyalty of many of us on this board who would hate to give up ATX if there is a chance that it may be fixed by next season. Seems like ATX needs to give a better assurance other than "trust us it will be fixed".

If that is indeed true why does CCH not tell us exactly what went wrong and why and what they are doing to fix it for 2013. Seems they would earn back the loyalty of many of us on this board who would hate to give up ATX if there is a chance that it may be fixed by next season. Seems like ATX needs to give a better assurance other than "trust us it will be fixed".

Agree! That's what I have been saying (guess that's why I agree)....

• Like 1